Upgraded Well/Pump House

/ Upgraded Well/Pump House #1  

jlgurr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1705, John Deere STX46
Thought I might share some of my recent labors with you. Didn't use my tractor much after the demolition but it was still fun to build something. The best part (and I had to keep reminding myself) it is only a well house/storage shed so it didn't need to be perfect. Was my first time using several new skills. Lots of Youtube training before and during. LOL!

Started out as a 10' x 11' block building with 5V roofing over rotting wood. The 5V was loose and flapped in the winds so the reason there are cinder blocks on the BEFORE photo. Picked up 60 blocks and 6 bags of mortar from the local Lowe's. Was a bit more than I'd like to carry in my truck again. The blocks were heavier than I expected and they seemed to get heavier as the week progressed.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 234
  • Pallet of Blocks.jpg
    Pallet of Blocks.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 196
   / Upgraded Well/Pump House
Laying Blocks, even on a simple ol' storage building gave me a whole new appreciation for what a good mason can do. Talk about a person with some valuable skills, some of the block layers I watched on youtube made it look soooo easy. Thought to myself, no problem. It's just a well house anyway, right? LOL! :D

My goal was to add only two courses of blocks. This would get the eaves high enough that I wouldn't crack my head while weed-eating or leaf blowing. It would also make going in and out of the building much easier than stooping through the short door as well as increasing storage space.

Biggest problem for this part of the project was the water I was using to mix the mortar was freezing to the sides of the wheelbarrow. Man, how in the world did I get stuck doing this when it is so cold? Probably still better than the sweat that comes with hot summers here in the south.

Brrrrr....jpg

Attachments

• Topless Walls.jpg
    Topless Walls.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 184
  • Two and Done North.jpg
    Two and Done North.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 173
After the blocks were good and dry, I set out to putting new lumber on the top. Simple roof, nothing fancy. Found some shingles at the local Habitat Restore for only $10 per bundle. Ka-Ching! Best part they even matched the color of the house. Well, at least close enough considering the house is a couple hundred feet away.

Attachments

• End Caps.jpg
    End Caps.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 296
  • Shingled.jpg
    Shingled.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 150
Finally finished the well house today. All except the paint, will need to wait until it's warmer. Using the short door until the new one is ready to install.

Oops, almost forgot to include at least one photo using the tractor so I can post all this on TBN. :D Not sure yet what to do with the scrapped roof and all the nails they used to hold it together.

Attachments

• Needs Paint.jpg
    Needs Paint.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Off With The Rotten.jpg
    Off With The Rotten.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 200
   / Upgraded Well/Pump House #5  
Well that's a solid 'brick **** house'! Well done. :thumbsup: I laid a bunch of 80lb + landscape block recently to build a couple large retaining walls. Yes I have an appreciation now for the skill of masons. It is physical but you better have it well planned out and first course needs to be spot on as your flaw is magnified as you go higher.

Any roof access to the well head?

No, appears the original builders planned to use the large, e z to remove window for that. The well is directly behind that window.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Upgraded Well/Pump House #8  
It'll never fly.:p