Used Kubota 2410 vs new Mahindra 2615

/ Used Kubota 2410 vs new Mahindra 2615 #1  

btownacres

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF1531
ok guys, the questions from this new buyer continue. But before I go any further, a big thanks to all of you for all of the help you have provided so far. So I stumble across a used Kubota 2410 hydro, with a FEL and turf tires. Dealer says he's not sure of year (??) recent trade, but I think it had like 300 hrs, may even have a belly mower, which I don't need. Apparently some guy with lots of money bought it to mow 3/4 of an acre, now has hired a landscaper or something.... Anyway, he wants 15500 for it and will warrantee it for 6 months. Then I look at the bran new Mahindra (yup, I realize it's not a Kubota), all the specs show it to be a beefier tractor, heavier, more HP, greater lift capacity, better FEL, and I can get it for about the same price, maybe 700 more. Curious as to what some of you think about that. They are both 4x4 HST's.
He also has a used Ford 1520, 4x4, HST, pretty nice shape, 1500 hrs, (late 80's or early 90's) again not sure of the year, for 10500. Again, turf tires and a belly mower on that one too. Is this a good tractor? How about the price?
thanks a bucket load!

/ Used Kubota 2410 vs new Mahindra 2615 #2  
The Kubota is a great lightweight tractor, very deluxe with all the whistles and bells as standard equipment, it is ideally built for mowing and light to medium landscape work. The B2410 offered an option called Bi-Speed turn to prevent tearing the grass while turning, etc. The tractor is specifically designed as a lightweight machine, it won't rut the lawn or compact the soil but it offers plenty of hp for its size.

The Mahindra is designed for somewhat heavier work, it is on the opposite end of the weight scale and one of the heaviest tractors of its size. It is better suited for box blade work and not as suited for tending the lawn. Be VERY CAREFUL when you compare loader specs, I have no doubt that the Mahindra loader will have somewhat greater capacity than the Kubota, BUT you MUST equalize the measurement points. Mahindra follows a practice of publishing 'pivot point' capacities which are actually misleading, they do not take into account the weight of the bucket (figure that at about 300#), but the most dishonest part of it is that you don't actually lift with pivot points, you lift by filling the center of the bucket with dirt. To equalize the capacity, you will have to de-rate the Mahindra 'pivot point' capacity by roughly 30% to 35%. For example, if the loader is rated at 1000# at the pivot point, then it will be rated at roughly 700# at the bucket center.

You should also look at the 3pt capacity and make sure you measure both of those at the same point. The most honest place to measure the 3pt hitch capacity is 24" behind the ball eyes. . . that is actually where the weight of your implement is sitting!!!

All that said, you really need to look at the LONG TERM TASKS you need to complete. And you need to weight them by importance. You are looking at Apples -vs- Oranges tractors, so you really need to figure which machine TYPE is better for your needs. Perhaps you need a heavy beast, perhaps you need a lightweight machine. Let the tasks determine the TYPE of tractor you need to buy.

For Example: Box Blading a gravel driveway may take you 2 hours. You may do it 3 times a year. A total of 6 hours a year.
Snow Blowing may occur 12 times a winter, 1 hour per session, for a total of 12 hours a year.
Obviously PTO horsepower is going to be more important to you than extreme traction because you will be using the PTO twice as much. Realize this example is a very simplistic example, but it gives you the idea.

/ Used Kubota 2410 vs new Mahindra 2615
thanks for the input Bob, it was helpfull. I will be needing more of a beast than a mower for what I need to do. With my limited tractor knowledge, something told me this particular Kubota was maybe a bit light for my real needs. I also didn't know about the FEL capacity stuff you pointed out, good to know. Any comments on the Ford 1520? It's 23 HP according to the specs I could find on-line, with about 20.5 PTO HP.
Thanks Again to all of you guys here, I'm finding this site very helpfull!