Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #41  
No one mentioned the Land Pride variant. My soon to be FIL has a Land Pride Treker 10 series. They have a 20hp Honda motor and are basically the same as the Kawi Mule 4000. It has an 800lbs payload capacity. It always starts, even now, sitting outside in the snow. It has an auto-locking rear diff so it won't tear up your lawn, even in 4x4.

I think the main reason he bought it was because he had a mule before this and he liked it. Other reason could be that Land Pride is in Salina, Ks and that's where he lives. They do now have a diesel version of it, so it may not work for you, but it is a good machine. It also cost's quite a bit less than a Mule.

Also, trust me when I say "The ROPS definately holds up when you roll it"... don't ask...

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #42  
Just thought I'd mention the Jap mini-trucks, they are really popular out in western WY, I have never driven one but have talked to folks who have them and they say they love them, especially the economy. Cheaper than a new Honda Rubicon I think, and you can get down the road with one when you want to. I would get the Honda though, because I can go to more remote places with it. Bob

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #43  
EquineGuy,

I am sorry to say I do not have personal experience with the diesel Mules v. the Gator. I do know my parents' neighbor, who owns a construction company, has two or three diesel Mules and likes them. I recall him saying they were not very fast but we heavily made and gave good service. He just bought an XUV 850d and seems to like it better as I see him on it and the Mule's stay parked a bit more--but he has only had it about one month, not long enough to form a good opinion of either.

John M

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #44  
Thanks. I stopped at a dealer who happened to have a 2009 mule. I must say it ran very smoooooth. After the glow plug light went out it fired right up in single diget temp. It was buried in the storage building so no test ride. They did say that Kawi now uses their own diesel vs using a third party like they used to. Because they make deisels for their heavy equipment division I guess this makes more sense for them.

Despite all of that I have great experience with JD/Yanmar. Assuming the quality comparison is close to equal, which I think it is it comes down to the Trans cab vs a two seater. Ground clearance in favor of the Gator (but the Mule can be lifted pretty easily and price. The Kawi looks to be a little more affordable but the Gator looks like a lot more fun. I plan to pull the trigger in the next two weeks. I'll let you know.

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #45  
Ive been reading all your posts and really am enjoying this forum . I purchased a 2008 mule trans diesel with power steering and so far I really like this machine. It seems to get very good fuel mileage and since I do construction I have diesel readily available. The engine starts easy when it is very cold outside 0 degrees and it has a nice ride . I have a very good dealer fairly close , I considered getting a jeep but the extra fuel usage took me back towards a diesel UTV . The trans is a good machine.

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #46  
I have a diesel Mule and I strongly recommend it. It is a powerful vehicle and very reliable. I cannot seem to break it or give it anything it can't handle. I use it going straight up hills, in the snow, down sharp inclines, hauling, pulling and all. My niece is really tough on it too, she slams on the breaks and runs wild on it. I try to tell her it is worth more than many people's cars but she doesn't seem to mind.

Get one, if not, get the RTV, that is the only one that come close. It is strictly a work vehicle though, I do not use it for fun really. I do chase trespassers with it and I am able to catch them. Fun would be the Tyrex or Rhino and I would get that gas with EFI.

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #47  
Excellent. Thank You for the advice on the Mule. It look like that's the way I am going. Just waiting for the dealer to be able to locate a trans diesel.

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #48  
I too test drove the rtv , I own a kubota excavator and it is a great machine but opted for the kawasaki mule trans diesel because of the seating and the people I know that have them havent had issues with them. It starts very easily when it is very cold out also, the price differential between the rtv helped me also to make my decision