UTV Sprayer

/ UTV Sprayer #1  

Greg_Phillips

Tractor
CaseIH Maxxum 125
I am going to build a spray boom for our Kubota RTV500 this fall/winter. We already have a 25 gallon spot sprayer that we use to spray fence rows, but I think that a boom would be really useful for spaying our pastures and hay fields. The biggest hay field we have is 40 acres, I know it would take a while to spay it with the UTV but I would rather do it myself than depend on someone else to do it for me.

My plan is to build something in the 15' range with a 7' main boom and 2 4' fold out wings, I would also be going to a 40 gallon tank. My questions are can I build the boom out of PVC? Will a 12v diaphragm pump produce the pressure and volume I need to spray 5-10 gallons per acre?

I probably will have more questions as I get into this project but this will get me started.

Thanks

/ UTV Sprayer #2  
It's going to depend on how you set up your sprayer. You can make it work if you use small tips and a concentrated solution.

Best bet is to figure the GPM requirement of your nozzles and size your pump accordingly. I.e. if you have ten nozzles that all require 0.1 gpm, you're going to need a 1 GPM pump.

Here's a link to a bunch of resources that can help you.
TeeJet - Nozzle Technical Information

Here's another link to an example of some GPM outputs of different sizes of one style of nozzle.
http://www.teejet.com/media/efa7f101-f5ec-4c1d-94a0-24a80c19d72c-CAT50-US_LoRes_p009.pdf