Price Check Value of 1979 Yanmar Model 240

/ Value of 1979 Yanmar Model 240 #1  

Carol Ann Nash

Tractor
1979 Yanmar Model YM240
I would appreciate honest advice on the sale value of a 1979 Yanmar Model 240 with weights in front and back, with "belly mower", a woods rotary mower Model M5-4, also a Woods Model RM500-2 mower. In addition I have a DR top discharge chipper with 3-Point Hitch model # CPR3PTT hardly used. I would like to sell the entire package but I am at a loss as to what to ask as a fair price. My husband passed away and he did not want me to drive the tractor. He was afraid I would hurt myself. He loved his tractor and took good care of it.
Can anyone offer me some advice? Thank you
I live in Connecticut

/ Value of 1979 Yanmar Model 240 #2  
Listen to several people's replies before doing anything. Here are my comments, FWIW. I own an unrestored YM240 but it has a loader on the front, so it's not exactly comparable.

I expect the tractor with mowers is worth around $3,000 but for a rig this old, the price depends on condition. If it looks garage-kept and very respectable then more than $3,000. If weathered or even shabby, of course less, down to maybe $1800 for 'it simply runs'.

That chipper is worth something, maybe $1,000? Anybody else know?

My suggestion is to put everything on Craigslist, local and additionally in any major metro area within 200 miles. Start at $4,000 for everything, or more if you think it shows good 'curb appeal'. Maybe try $5,000 if it really looks excellent. These are classics and somebody will pay good money for one that has the same appeal that they did new.

(Beware the Craigslist scammers! Safest is demand cash handed over inside the lobby of your own bank.) As a minimum phone the buyer back to verify his real phone plus write his driver's license # and license plate when you take his 'certified check' that could well be bogus).

I have the original YM240 sales brochures online and available via my sig at the bottom of this post. You might like to copy photos or quote specifications from that. If you have the service manuals or even the original receipt be sure to mention them in a Craigslist ad.

Now ... wait for some more replies and consider them before taking my opinion seriously. I obviously don't know your local market.

Also if you don't see many replies here, flag your own post (red triangle) and ask a moderator to move it to the Yanmar forum where all the enthusiasts hang out. Out here in the General forum many readers might get as far as '1979' and quit reading.

/ Value of 1979 Yanmar Model 240 #3  
I would appreciate honest advice on the sale value of a 1979 Yanmar Model 240 with weights in front and back, with "belly mower", a woods rotary mower Model M5-4, also a Woods Model RM500-2 mower. In addition I have a DR top discharge chipper with 3-Point Hitch model # CPR3PTT hardly used. I would like to sell the entire package but I am at a loss as to what to ask as a fair price.

Hello Carol Ann. Everything that California said is pretty much what I'd say too. The price is really, really related to condition. These older Yanmars are known to be excellent and are very long-lived tractors. I wouldn't consider as "old" a 1979 Yanmar that has been well kep and used mostly for mowing or chipper work. For that kind of work the year doesn't really matter and the whole setup should easily last through another generation without needing anything more than routine maintenance. It would be nice if someone could use it all just as it is.

The YM240 was sold new in the USA by local Yanmar dealerships - not as a used tractor or "gray market" import. Those old US models are less common than the newer gray market ones and the US connection helps some people feel more comfortable with parts and manuals and things like that. In general, tractors last a long time and so tractor people become quite familiar with brands and models from decades back. Besides, Yanmars are known and respected.

Things that make the 240 worth more would be if it has the wide turf tires sometimes seen on mowing tractors. Another thing that really brings up the value is if it was the four wheel drive version. That would be a model YM240D. Having any original manuals and storing a tractor under cover helps too. Be sure to mention these as you advertise.

The belly mowing equipment only helps the price if mowing is the goal. It isn't adaptable to any other tractor. Weights are good, and of course the chipper has value all of its own as do the two Wood's three point mounted mowers - these three items being universally applicable and able to be used by any tractor.

It all comes down to condition....and weathering sure counts as conditon. As for where to post your information, perhaps you could post essentially the same question but worded differently for the different audiences both here and also in the Yanmar owners forum on this site.
Good luck, rScotty

/ Value of 1979 Yanmar Model 240 #4  
Carol Ann,

I can't help with a value but if you post a few pictures of the machine, the folks knowledgeable about Yanmars would be able to form a much better opinion of the value.

Good luck and sorry for your loss.

/ Value of 1979 Yanmar Model 240 #5  
Very sorry for your loss. Is your tractor now for sale? If so, I am in Ct too and might be interested