Vane pump for splitter

/ Vane pump for splitter #1  

rusty32

Hi , been a lurker for some time now. We heat are shops at work with wood, I work at a recycling/garbage center. During the winters we store most wood inside to keep it dry. I would like to build an electric log splitter for use indoors, mostly constructed out of stuff leftover from are garbage trucks and things from our scrapyard. We recieved a brand new bosch/rexroth vane pump in scrap 30gpm @1750 rpm and 2000psi. From what i found it would take 40hp to run this pump right which we get thoose in the scrap yard too. But would a vane pump work well in this situation. Thanks

/ Vane pump for splitter #2  
Hi , been a lurker for some time now. We heat are shops at work with wood, I work at a recycling/garbage center. During the winters we store most wood inside to keep it dry. I would like to build an electric log splitter for use indoors, mostly constructed out of stuff leftover from are garbage trucks and things from our scrapyard. We recieved a brand new bosch/rexroth vane pump in scrap 30gpm @1750 rpm and 2000psi. From what i found it would take 40hp to run this pump right which we get thoose in the scrap yard too. But would a vane pump work well in this situation. Thanks

Yes a vane pump will work. Do you need the 30 GPM flow rate? If not and you can get a 1200 RPM motor this would lower the flow rate to around 20 GPM and your HP 25 - 30.

Just keep the oil clean since vane pumps are little more sensitive to dirt than gear pumps.

Roy