Ventrac 3400Y RPM gage issues

/ Ventrac 3400Y RPM gage issues #1  

VentracInLaw

Tractor
Ventrac 3400Y
I am having issues with my tachometer on my RPM/Hour Cluster gage. (3400Y Kobota diesel) When the engine is running it shows the rpms but it fluctuates when the tractor is sitting still with the trottle open. Example: wide open it will show 2750 to 2600 to 2790 etc. When I idle down to about 1600 it jumps to the hrs, which I believe should only show when engine is off?, and will not show rpms below 1600! Maybe to back up little with some history, (I bought the tractor used but brand new condition) last Nov. with 3.5hrs on the gage. Tractor had been sitting for 3 yrs before that. When I got it home I noticed the whole gage would freeze up after running for maybe 15 seconds. I picked up a new rpm/hr cluster gage, with the new gage everything works on on the cluster now except the rpms are all over the place. Anyone have any thoughts?

/ Ventrac 3400Y RPM gage issues #2  
If the hour meter / tachometer is fed with a cable try pulling the center out of the cable and lubricating it. When the cable is disconnected the center or driven portion should pull out easily.

/ Ventrac 3400Y RPM gage issues
The gage is electronic, I thought it might be a ground problem but the rpm, hrs, temp., and oil light all run off the same ground.

/ Ventrac 3400Y RPM gage issues #4  
I do not own a 3400, but your description of the problem seems to point me toward considering a faulty elecrtical connection or ground. Connecters can be cleaned with electronic parts cleaner in aerosol can. I had a similar problem with the digital speedometer on my 4500Z and dealer replaced, reporting "moisture" in the cluster was to blame. Then the new one did the same a few weeks later when the ploblem was traced to a poor connection. I do not use water to clean, only leaf blower air. Loose battery cable connections can also cause odd problems with electronics. Happy hunting! Your dealer can get help from Ventrac for you.

prs

/ Ventrac 3400Y RPM gage issues
I do not own a 3400, but your description of the problem seems to point me toward considering a faulty elecrtical connection or ground. Connecters can be cleaned with electronic parts cleaner in aerosol can. I had a similar problem with the digital speedometer on my 4500Z and dealer replaced, reporting "moisture" in the cluster was to blame. Then the new one did the same a few weeks later when the ploblem was traced to a poor connection. I do not use water to clean, only leaf blower air. Loose battery cable connections can also cause odd problems with electronics. Happy hunting! Your dealer can get help from Ventrac for you.

prs
I have checked the battery connections, but will check all other connections, Thanks