Ventrac diesel overheating

/ Ventrac diesel overheating #1  

redline1

Wondering if anyone has had trouble with a Ventrac diesel (dm950d) overheating. We have one that has run hot for a couple years and finally gave up, upon inspection we found a cracked head. Replaced the head with a new one from Briggs and we were sure this was the long cause of hot running but now together it still pins the heat gauge rather quickly. If any one has tips or tricks that would be great. We are thinking of adding an electric fan to help move more air, also machine has new rad in it.

/ Ventrac diesel overheating #2  
What mower deck are you running? If you are running the contour or any rear discharge deck, debris can come back up into the radiator screen. That is the only thing that has caused any overheating issue for me, but I just clean the screen (takes 30 seconds) after or before each use and I have never had any other issues.

/ Ventrac diesel overheating #4  
I've got the Gas engine, but it is the same block etc. -- Never had any problem with overheating.

I would absolutely check the thermostat and heat sensor sending unit. Make sure the screen and fins in the radiator are not plugged.

I'd bet on the thermostat - if it isn't opening, it would heat up fast.

LOVE my VENTRAC !

Good Luck !

/ Ventrac diesel overheating #5  
I am finishing my first season with the 31HP turbo deisel..bought this machine as demo with 77 hours on it.. now have 140 hours .. I recently had the engine heat up.. but was 100% from the drity rad screen.. as soon as I cleaned it.. it went back to normal for me.. no problems.. I must be more careful in dusty condition to keep an eye on the screen..