Versatility of the JD 3046R vs 4044R

/ Versatility of the JD 3046R vs 4044R #1  

mstockdale

Tractor
None
Hello,

I have been looking through some of the older posts looking for answers to some questions that I have regarding the JD 3046R and 4044R but figured I would address them directly with a post.

I am trying to figure out what size tractor would be suitable for my needs, as I will be looking at a future purchase (Fall 2018). Looked at a Kubota m7040suhd last winter but passed since it wasn't the right time...kind of glad it worked out that way because I have had time to refine my needs and wants in a machine.

I want the tractor to be big enough but not too big (an acquaintance has a 3038E familiar with the size of the 3 series)... and be able to complete many or all tasks listed below. Maneuverability / versatility around the woods and around the house is important.

- Snowplowing / Blowing

- Driveway maintenance, Landscaping (around new house)

- Woods Work / Firewood hauling / splitting

- Tilling / harrowing / power raking

- Bushhogging

- Hay Cutting / tedding / Square baling

- Rough mowing around property

- Loader work (ie: gravel, topsoil, rock, forks etc..)

Any insight regarding these machines would be very helpful, thanks in advance.

/ Versatility of the JD 3046R vs 4044R #2  
Go with the 4 series. It has the making of a tractor with it's wider stance and heaver undercarriage, just the needs that you are describing. In my view, the 3 series is in the upper end of the garden tractor genre.

/ Versatility of the JD 3046R vs 4044R #3  
They are both very similar in engine and PTO HP. If wanting to use a front snow blower only the 3046R has a mid-PTO. The 4044R weighs almost 1000 lbs. more and has a 4-CYL engine compared with the 3-CYL in the 3046R. The 4-series is built heavier all the way around and uses cast iron for the transmission and axle housings whereas the 3046R uses aluminum.

/ Versatility of the JD 3046R vs 4044R #4  
And the 3046r is turbo charged and the 4044 is not.

/ Versatility of the JD 3046R vs 4044R #5  
I would have gotten the 4044r but the height of my garage door would not allow it. Got the 3046r and still happy with it. I upgraded the 3038e to the 3046r.

/ Versatility of the JD 3046R vs 4044R
Hey guys thanks for the info so far it is helpful...but i was hoping to get more of a discussion going on the capabilities / versatility of these machines from owner operators. Is the 3 series too small for hay work? will it run square balers and what not....is the 4044 underpowered for the size and tasks I want to use it for?....stuff like that I guess. Tell me about your experiences with your 3 and 4 series machines. Thanks in advance.

/ Versatility of the JD 3046R vs 4044R #7  
I have a 3046R cab model, I use it for snow and to grade my 1000 foot driveway, it does great at both.
It also has plenty of power to run my tiller and brush hog.

/ Versatility of the JD 3046R vs 4044R #8  
FWIW, when I bought my first tractor it was a New Holland TC series. There was a 35, 40, 45 and a little bigger TC55. I ended up going with the 40 HP tractor. Back then I really had no idea about tractor sizes, weights, HP, etc. I just wanted a tractor for my land. Looking back, if I did it again I would have gone with the 55 HP tractor.

After I bought mine and had been using it for a year or so a friend I worked for occasionally bought the TC55. He let me operate it one day when we were grading out a yard. That is when I realized what a difference a little extra size and HP can really add to a tractor. He used that TC55 to grade yards from a 1/4 acre and up. It never felt too big on most jobs. Once you decide and buy a tractor and start using it on your place, in time you will know if you did not go big enough.

Comfort is something else I believe is overlooked by a lot of folks when buying a new tractor. If you are not comfortable with the ergonomics of a tractor regardless of brand, you will never be happy and more than likely sore at the end of the day. That said, those 3R series tractors are really nice and very comfortable. That is the one size area where I believe John Deere is doing well in. They are not too big and not too small for doing general yard maintenance on a 5/10 acre plot and would work fine on larger lots. I have lots of friends with 100 acre+ parcels that get by just fine with 30 HP tractors.

I have been using my 40 HP tractor for 10 years on my little six acres where I currently live and have never felt like the tractor was too much/big but I have wished for more power and lift. I am currently working on my 16 acre lot with my tractor where we will be building a new house. I am debating/looking to upgrade in the fall also and will probably be going with something in the 50 to 60 HP range. For what you are describing doing, I believe the 4044R capabilities/versatility will make you a happy camper. I have driven and tested both of the tractors you are looking at. The 3046 first then a 4044. They are both extremely nice but if I was picking between the two I would go with the bigger one.

I know there are lot of opinions on here concerning tractor size, HP and weight. After running a 40 HP tractor for a long time, the smaller tractors I have looked at and driven just don't feel like they would suit me but for some reason I always want one as an extra tractor LOL. But in the end I always end up testing a bigger tractor than what I currently have and like that better. That is just my experience and opinion on it. It usually boils down to how much money one has or does not have that is the deciding factor. All these new 4wd compact tractors are extremely nice and very capable machines. Ultimately you are the one that has to decide for yourself. I would also suggest checking out other brands before you pull the trigger just to make sure there is nothing else out there you might have missed. Good luck with your decision.