Vert welding w/ flux core wire 120v welder

/ Vert welding w/ flux core wire 120v welder #1  

GeneV

Elite Member
Tractor
Bradley 48" stander MF GC1710
Hey, I'm a total green at this, playing around with my century fc90. Who's got pointers on laying a vertical bead? Or any pointers otherwise for a little 120v flux core welder that's cool too. :)

/ Vert welding w/ flux core wire 120v welder #2  
My brother has a little Century 120V unit but I haven't tried welding with it and don't remember how the settings work... I've used the heck out of the harbor freight 90A flux welder that has two temp settings and a dial for wire speed... with that said for vertical welding I haven't figured that out on flux core, I did a bunch of welding with my bigger welder (Titanium MIG 175 on 220V with .035" flux wire) a week ago on a project and had a heck of a time on 2 welds that were straight vertical... no issues on the 4 welds that were vertical around the axle tube for whatever reason... I think it is because I was trying to go vertical up on those two welds, I think down might have worked better since I went down on the second pass and it got better but was already a mess... that and dropping the voltage or increasing the wire speed would have cooled it down a little helping the dripping problem. With the little 90A unit I got used to using the wire speed to change heat since that was WAY more adjustable than voltage, but I haven't used that welder much in the last two years...

/ Vert welding w/ flux core wire 120v welder #3  
   / Vert welding w/ flux core wire 120v welder
So you're dragging downward, never up?