Victor torch kits

/ Victor torch kits #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I stopped by the local welding supply shop asking about an acetylene torch. I just need to heat some bolts and possibly cut up to 1/2". He directed me to a Victor Cutskill for $189. I noticed Tractor Supply has Victor Firepower sets for $199. Sears had the Cutskill outfits for $225. All these sets are their 250 series. Is the only difference between these Firepower and Cutskill the tote that the Cutskill comes in?

/ Victor torch kits #2  
All the same. less fancy plating and Knob handles than Genuine Victor. Of course cheap hose and regular type Regulators. Still have built in check valves and Flash Arrestors for safety. Last you for ever anyway.

/ Victor torch kits #3  
yep.. i have a knockoff victor style kit. as mentioned.. cheaper hoses.. regs are ok.. torch itself is fine.. et. blow molded case is generic.. but for what I paid.. it cuts nicely..

soundguy

/ Victor torch kits
I don't think these are Victor knock-offs. On Victor's web site they show the Cutskill line of torches. These are different than their professional line most likely to compete with the Chinese knock-offs in the consumer market. There is no mention of the Firepower line on the web site. I think I am going to go with the LWS for $550 including filled 60cu.ft and 40cu.ft. tanks. I have been looking on Craigslist but there is not much in my area.

/ Victor torch kits #5  
i didn't mean to imply that thos were kinock offs.. just mentioned i've seen quite a few victor 'style' torches.. and for the most part.. the regs and hoses are a tad generic.. otherwise they heat metal and cut as you might expect a torch to..

soundguy

/ Victor torch kits #6  
Cutskill and Fire power are Victor made torch sets. Cutskill has a 2 tube cutting attachment and Fire powert has 3. No matter. They are less expensive hobby torches for the people who may buy burns o matic or other Knockoffs . I like the genuine Victor but if you are a hobby torch guy, The Weldskill or Fire Power will still last you beyond your needs. Weldskill is marketed through distribution often as a private label. Fire Power is marketed through Big Box Stores. If you want to see something funny. Look at the fleet stores and they stock Hobart Torches. They are Victor Knockoffs. The funny thing is that Hobart is owned by ITW and Smith is the ITW brand but they choose to market Victor Knockoffs instead of their own Smith Brand. ??

/ Victor torch kits
Thanks for the replies. I did get the one form the LWS. I dealt with the manager this time instead of the normal salesperson so I saved $8 since he just threw in the adapter for the acetylene tank. Would a professional grade Victor set been better quality, probably but if I use this 3-4 times per year that will be a lot. I could have found some knockoffs for about half the price for the torch set but I would still need the tanks. Being a novice I am not sure I would have known a bad from a good used torch even if there were some available. So this torch is going to get a work out this summer rebuilding my manure spreader. I am not sure how much actual cutting I will need to do but there are a number of rusty bolts that need removing.

/ Victor torch kits #8  
Install Flash Arrestors and you will be good to go.

/ Victor torch kits #9  
They are Victor Knockoffs. The funny thing is that Hobart is owned by ITW and Smith is the ITW brand but they choose to market Victor Knockoffs instead of their own Smith Brand. ??

any time i see a company do that it tells me they can get the other cheaper ( more profit margin) than producing their own.. whether by bulk contract or price negotiation. just my guess there anyway.

soundguy