Village Idiot did it again.

/ Village Idiot did it again. #1  

Mtnmnstr

Bronze Member
Tractor
XR4145 & Farmall M
Hey guys,
This is a hydraulic issue.
Jumped on my XR4140 that I put 3rd function and the AE Grapple. It's been working great for 4 years. Been having issues with disconnecting the hoses. Then I bled the pressure off and popped on. Then today I read about; turn the key on and exercise the controls. That works!!!
Now to my problem. After letting it warm up I go to open the Grapple and I get Nothing. It moves about an inch and stops. It closes solid but will not open. I have pressure to the lift hose because I left the hose loose and sprayed the idiot , fenders seat and dash with Hyd Fluid. The tractor was topped off with about 8 gals of VP Ultra J20A Plus Utility Tractor Fluid. Everything else works fine.

Thank you for any help.

/ Village Idiot did it again. #2  
Sound like one of the quick connects is not fully seated.

You may want to reseat those.

/ Village Idiot did it again.
Sound like one of the quick connects is not fully seated.

You may want to reseat those.
I was thinking the same. So I did it a few times. Do these connectors go bad? Like air fittings do? rarely but sometimes.

/ Village Idiot did it again. #4  
I was thinking the same. So I did it a few times. Do these connectors go bad? Like air fittings do? rarely but sometimes.
Sometimes it can happen but it's more common that it looks seated but it really isn't and this often causes a check valve effect where the fluid can go one way but not the other.

/ Village Idiot did it again. #5  
I thought you were going to say something about me. Some times I can fall into that category!

/ Village Idiot did it again. #6  
Yes they can go bad and may work at very low flow like feathering the movement and then fail at higher flows.

Watch the hoses going to the grapple. Do they both stiffen when you try to open? If yes then something is restricting flow out of the cylinder.

/ Village Idiot did it again. #7  
Can't help with the issue but offer a hydraulic fluid scenario. Happened when I worked at Coors (refreshing beer direct from the brewery but spoils if not always stored ice cold).
The keg loaders, those guys hauled but loading kegs on rail cars and trailers.
Someone was running a slipsheet pullback type loader hauling but as well. The pullback operator came flying backwards out a trailer and caught his platten on the dock plate. Tore it off. Hydraulic fluid everywhere and slicker than ice.
Keg guy comes flying buy ready to turn in and spins out. Kegs were clamped so no spill. Then another pullback goes flying by and spins out with 2 full units of bottled beer (slipsheet units) and sku-smash! Glass, beer and hydraulic surprise.
They hired alot of temps so tearing a platten off in this manner was common. Free beer on tap in the breakroom probably didn't help.

/ Village Idiot did it again. #8  
What 3rd function kit do you have? Your tractor is doing the EXACT same thing mine did a few years ago.

Mine is a WR Long, and after about a year, it went bad. I thought it was a valve and followed a simple tutorial to unstick the valves. Simply take a small screw driver and, with the tractor off, push the dimple on the ends in as much as you can. If you have a stuck valve, this should unstick it.

For me, this didn't work. My issue was the control board. I did a video:

/ Village Idiot did it again.
I just remembered I posted this question here.
HERE"S THE UPDATE!!!!
I spend all week end disassembling the quick connects. cleaned and reassembled. took apart the WCLong valve and checked continuity on all connections. ALL SET!!!! jump up start and mashed the button. and nothing. I hooked up the hoses backwards. So I switched the wires in the joystick. Mashed the button again. IT WORKED!!! It was the bayonet connectors.
I hate electricity.