VW Water Pump

/ VW Water Pump #1  

Paystar

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
Well how's this for ironic? Two days ago I get one of those spam emails to join a class action suit against VW for failing plastic water pumps all the way back to 2009/10 to present that crack I think it said?

Anyway, I ignored because: A. those class action suits are BS and the only person that gets any money is the lawyer. And B. My Tiguan is a 2010 and has never failed. Not even the dreaded timing chain tensioner that was supposed to make it absolutely blow up by 2011 according to the internet and class action suits.

Well next day wife comes in and says "my low coolant light is on" I still wasn't concerned because it barley took anything to top up and no puddles. She takes car for a short trip and gets back and says it's on again. So I look and bottle is empty.

So I put it up and go under it, take the plastic belly pan off and coolant everywhere. All coming from the water pump area.

So now, in the morning I'll get to see if I get more good news, if anyone even has all the parts in stock. And all kinds of stupid $100 plastic elbows which could also be cracked?

/ VW Water Pump
Well, I see now why I buy Ford's again.

$2000 for water pump and labor and they still are charging me another $294 plus 13% tax on top of that for diagnostics because, well you know, they had to make sure the water pump that was pouring coolant out of it was bad.

Then he says "we notice there is carbon build up in the intake manifold" (which is a new intake last year because the other one broke some butterfly valve in it) "we can clean that for $354"

NO THANKS. Why does this stuff have to happen when I have something going on and no time to do it myself.

/ VW Water Pump #3  
I went through a bit of that and the answer for me was Toyota

/ VW Water Pump #4  
I "escaped" all that when VW recalled my 2009 TDI (leaking sunroof, falling headliner, imploding fuel pumps) and paid me well above market value. I went to a 2019 Ford Escape Titanium.

/ VW Water Pump
Wife got that nazi mobile back today and sent me a pic of the invoice.

$2500 to replace the plastic thermostat housing! And they never even replaced the water pump! At least they did replace that stupid tiny belt that drives it.
$1000 in parts and 7.5 hours labor for a simple job that book says 4 hours.

Then they put on invoice as a recommended job "notice leak at clamp on muffler. $950 to R&R muffler."

Good thing I'm not home right now because there would likely be an assault at the VW dealer and me in jail.

Time to replace that one with another Ford too. I sure miss my 95 Explorer that got wrecked in an accident my wife had. 400,000 miles and nothing but a battery, wiper blades and one wheel bearing.