War and the Muses - Eleanor Roosevelt’s Prayer

/ War and the Muses - Eleanor Roosevelt’s Prayer #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
After Elliot Roosevelt’s death (1860-1894), his daughter Eleanor Roosevelt (1884-1962) was raised by his brother Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. (1858-1919). In 1905, while her uncle was in the White House, she wed her fifth cousin, Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882-1945).

After Franklin was disabled by polio, Eleanor increasingly became his partner in politics and during his years in office became the most active First Lady in history. She had a daily newspaper column, often served as a fact finder for the President, championed unpopular causes, such as racial justice and workers’ rights, and became almost as popular as Roosevelt himself, while also becoming a major target of abuse by hate groups, hostile politicians, and the like. During World War II, Mrs. Roosevelt, who had four sons and a son-in-law in uniform,travelled extensively, visiting training camps, defense plants, military hospitals, and troops overseas. While on her travels she carried a copy of a short prayer, which reportedly had been given to her by William Stephenson (1897-1989), better known as the British intelligence maven “Intrepid.”

Dear Lord,
Lest I continue
My complacent way,
Help me to remember that somewhere,
Somehow out there
A man died for me today.
As long as there be war,
I then must
Ask and answer
Am I worth dying for?

/ War and the Muses - Eleanor Roosevelt’s Prayer #2  
Undoubtedly Eleanor did lots of good works. However I'm not in favor of the "Two Fer" presidential combinations...such as the Clintons. My favorite First Lady was Harry Truman's. As far as I know, she stayed home and left running the country to the elected President.

Cheers,
Mike

/ War and the Muses - Eleanor Roosevelt’s Prayer #3  
I certainly agree with the 'no two-fe' leadership. My take is that the follow-up is usually simply an echo of the first.

Further, I've been disappointed in 'Second Term" Presidents. It seems to me that they've always done a good job in the first term, then the second term ends up very poor; my experience only...

/ War and the Muses - Eleanor Roosevelt’s Prayer #4  
Undoubtedly Eleanor did lots of good works. However I'm not in favor of the "Two Fer" presidential combinations...such as the Clintons. My favorite First Lady was Harry Truman's. As far as I know, she stayed home and left running the country to the elected President.

Cheers,
Mike
Just to be fair, that should include our Dad and Lad George & wubya also.

Last edited: