Warm running 4510

/ Warm running 4510 #1  

yanmars

Platinum Member
I have a 4510. It wants to run warm/hot when mowing. This especially occurs if any weed/thistle fuzz debris gets in front of the radiator. I have to clean it often and it does not take much for it to get hot.
Anybody else have these problems and cures. The fluid is full and good. I am thinking about adding some WaterWetter.
It seems the radiator is a bit small for the machine, the fan belt is adjusted correctly and I am not running the air conditioner to not tax the engine.
It did not get so hot that it appears to have head or head gasket problems but it is a pain. I can only go about 45 minutes of operation in heavier mowing before it wants to get to the red hot mark and I have to stop even if there is no debris on the radiator.
Just to make sure, any way to test for a head gasket leak? I had the radiator cap off but it vibrates enough coolant then comes out, the oil level is not rising thru water getting in and I see no water on the dip stick when it has cooled and set.
I thought there was a test strip one could get that would tell if combustion material got into the coolant. Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

/ Warm running 4510 #2  
Do a search on the 4110's overheating when cutting grass - several of us have discussed this quite a bit over the last few years and most of us seem to agree it's from all the chaff getting into the radiator core fins. Personally, during the drier & hotter months of cutting I have to stop maybe once an hour or two and blow backwards thru my radiator with the airhose just to keep me cool enough to continue cutting. Then when I'm thru with that cutting I spend extra time blowing back & forth both ways thru the radiator. I don't even bother to take the screens out from in front of the rad. anymore except the couple times of year that I get the pressure washer out and give the core a really good washing-out - I take the battery out & all and get the rad good and lots of crud comes out. My washer is 4.6 gal per minute and really does a good job.The tractor always runs nice & cool after these cleanings. I never have a heating problem except during these hot, dry times of grass cutting. And yes, there are detectors for combustion gasses in the radiator - never seen a strip type but have used a liquid type that turns color, they might have strip types out there somewhere though.

/ Warm running 4510
Thanks for the prompt reply. I do not have water or electrictiy at the farm but I have a generator so I will clean it out more.

/ Warm running 4510 #4  
A very common problem, the cooling air is drawn up from around the front axle with any chaff that is disturbed.
If you prop the hood open an inch or two more air will be drawn from clean air above the tractor. You may also want to put a Hogs Hare filter in front of the radiator to keep the chaff out and make it easy to clean.:thumbsup:

/ Warm running 4510
Thanks for the ideas. This is a good tractor site.

/ Warm running 4510 #6  
A very common problem, the cooling air is drawn up from around the front axle with any chaff that is disturbed.
If you prop the hood open an inch or two more air will be drawn from clean air above the tractor. You may also want to put a Hogs Hare filter in front of the radiator to keep the chaff out and make it easy to clean.:thumbsup:

Whst is a Hogs Hare filter and where can I get one??

Cheers...Coffeeman