water in my front axle -- what now?

/ water in my front axle -- what now? #1  

scobrado

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038E
I checked the front axle hydraulic fluid on my JD 3038E and found rust on the fill/dipstick treads and the fluid had turned creamy yellow (instead of normal hy-guard clear greenish).

I will change the fluid, buy what should I do to diagnose the cause of this problem? The fill cap was tight, so I don't think it got in there. The fluid level was okay, and I don't see a leak. What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

/ water in my front axle -- what now? #2  
When you drain be sure you can drain the low spots or some water may be left. Might want to run a quick flush with some filtered used oil. Look for the breather and make sore water cant drip in. Monitor the new fluid.
larry

/ water in my front axle -- what now? #3  
Does your tractor sit outside? Have you ever had the front axle in water?

/ water in my front axle -- what now?
Does your tractor sit outside? Have you ever had the front axle in water?

No, it's under cover; doesn't see any rain in storage. I drive it in the rain once in a while, and I use a garden hose and a sprayer (not a pressure washer) to clean the tractor, but I'm not aggressive about washing it. I have not driven it through more than a couple inches of standing water. It only has 40 hours on it and this was about the 4th time I checked the axle fluid level.

I changed the fluid. It comes out of three separate drain holes. One drain dumped fluid as white as milk. The other two were creamy yellow colored. I am going to wait a bit and change the fluid again and see what I get. It takes 1 gal. At $16 per gallon, it's worth it to me to be extra careful. I just hope no permanent damage has already been done.

/ water in my front axle -- what now? #5  
You will have to change it more than once to get it cleaned out. After putting in the fresh fluid, work it for a while to get some heat in it so more will come out. While still warm drain and let drip over night. Plug and refill.

/ water in my front axle -- what now? #6  
I changed the fluid. It comes out of three separate drain holes. One drain dumped fluid as white as milk. The other two were creamy yellow colored. I am going to wait a bit and change the fluid again and see what I get. It takes 1 gal. At $16 per gallon,
Thats why saving some used oil comes in handy and thrifty. After it sits a while any significant particulate is on the bottom and a flush only requires a 5 minute fast drive no load in warm weather. You dont even need 4wd drive engaged; the gears past the drive gear are all spinning. Youll breathe a lot easier when you find where that water gets in. ... Strange on a 40hr tractor. :confused3:
larry

/ water in my front axle -- what now? #7  
I agree with Larry, that seems strange to have happened so quickly. But then we don't know the manufactured date of the tractor either.

I'm going to contribute the water to condensation in the gear box. Very common to see that in the gear boxes on brush cutters that sit outside. Not from water entering the box, just from heating and cooling several hundred times and condensation that gets in thru the vents.

As for getting rid of all the grey fluid, that will take a couple changes. I experience this a lot with my off-road Jeeps and buggies. Change the fluid immediatly after use so the water is evenly mixed with the oil rather than being puddle somewhere that can't be drained.

As for prevention, if it's condensation there's only one fix, the tractor needs to be parked in a controlled environment. My equipment is parked in a heated shop. I have never experienced any problems with my tractors. My Jeep/buggy problems are from exposure to very deep water, over the tires.

/ water in my front axle -- what now?
Thanks for all the responses. The tractor was manufactured in June 2012 and purchased in November 2012. I has been stored under cover in a barn, not left out in the rain. Oregon is a high humidity environment in the winter. There was A LOT of water in the axle. More than I would think could get in from humidity.

Does anyone know where the axle is vented? The fill cap has an o-ring, the but the system must allow for change in pressure.

I am going to run another change of fluid and let it drip all night, although, I am nervous about a bug crawling in there if I leave the drains open for an extended period. Maybe I can put cheese cloth or screens over the drains.

Last edited:
   / water in my front axle -- what now? #9  
I can't help you with the vent location on your tractor specifically. But on my previous tractor, L4400 Kubota, there was no vent. The seals were subject to that pressure change and appeared to stand it.

As for the humidity and condensation theory. Look how much condensation forms on the side of a glass of iced tea. The same theory applies when the tractor experiences temperature changes. And being in your high humidity area I think you'd be exposed to this problem.