Water in PTO/ transmission

/ Water in PTO/ transmission #1  

Yanmar J

Tractor
Yammer 2500 YM
Going to try this again. One of them is going to be right.
I want to thank everyone that has given me advise on water in my PTO/transmission on my YM2500. I have changed it 2 or 3 times before but it will only work my FEL and PTO a few days then water contaminates it again. I use Sea Foam transmission tune up. PTO/transmission fluid is $59.00 for 5 gallons. Gets expensive to change once a month. No it sits out in the weather. I do put a 5 gallon bucket over the FEL levers. Hope to put a tarp covering up this spring.

/ Water in PTO/ transmission #2  
Going to try this again. One of them is going to be right.
I want to thank everyone that has given me advise on water in my PTO/transmission on my YM2500. I have changed it 2 or 3 times before but it will only work my FEL and PTO a few days then water contaminates it again. I use Sea Foam transmission tune up. PTO/transmission fluid is $59.00 for 5 gallons. Gets expensive to change once a month. No it sits out in the weather. I do put a 5 gallon bucket over the FEL levers. Hope to put a tarp covering up this spring.

Putting a bucket over the FEL levers won't do a thing. That's the one area that actually pretty resistant to water intrusion

PTO/transmission water enters by running down the shifter levers and standing on the top of the transmission case between your feet.
As for changing oil, you won't be able to drain the last quart to half gallon unless you pull the cleanable filter out so if you don't do that you will still have water.

Yanmar wrote several technical bulletins on this very problem.Water killed more Yanmars than use ever did...

Water also gets into: front axle, past the fuel cap/gauge, into the brake assemblies, and runs past the steering wheel center down the steering column into the steering box right under. All are known problems.

Throw a tarp over it.
rScotty

/ Water in PTO/ transmission
Thanks so much for the GREAT info. Sorry it took so long to reply but I never got a notice that it had been answered and other projects (honey doo's) had to be done.