Weak trailer brakes. Sure could use some ideas here!

/ Weak trailer brakes. Sure could use some ideas here!
Finally getting back to this project.

Hooked a jump pack up directly to the studs in the junction box. Saw 15 amps so roughly 2.5amp average. I then pulled the trailer and only one wheel dragged. I then measured the amperage at each wheel:

LF: 4.0 (this is the one that dragged), LC: 4.0, LR: 4.0, RR: 4.0, RC: 3.9, RF: 2.4. I suspect the terminal stud needs to be tightened at the right front wheel. I find it interesting the average amperage doesn’t equal what was measured at the wheel.

These brakes are self adjusting and I’ve backed them up several times so they should be tight.

The truck has a built-in controller.

The trailer is wired using 10g wire. There is a main coming off the junction box and it runs back to the center axle. The main terminates at a pair of studs and then a dedicated wire goes to each brake. There are dedicated wires for both power and ground.

Last edited:
   / Weak trailer brakes. Sure could use some ideas here! #42  
These brakes are self adjusting and I’ve backed them up several times so they should be tight.

The truck has a built-in controller.

The trailer is wired using 10g wire.
I would not trust self adjusting brakes to be adjusted correctly.

Not sure it matters much if the trailer has 10 ga., or even 2 ga., when the tow vehicles has limited wire size and output. Not that it hurts, but still.

Selfishly, I do like my electric over hydraulic disc brakes more and more.