weld spoon? what is it

/ weld spoon? what is it #2  
If you're talking about one of these

JeeP-4-T1.jpg

Its for absorbing heat when you're welding butt joints or holes in thin material. Stops the metal from turning to 'liquid' and falling away. You hold it behind whatever you're welding, as you weld the seam or hole, the copper dissipates the heat, and because the spoon is copper (different metal) the weld wont stick to it, clever huh?

There might be other uses, thats the only one I know.

Some folks just hammer down a piece of 3/4 copper pipe until its flat and hold on to it with a vice grips...

Your link to Harbour freight doesnt work for me btw.... (item number not valid?)

B

Last edited:
   / weld spoon? what is it
Yes thank you very much. I wish HF would give a better description sometimes lol I went and fixe the link also. sorry had the wrong one.thanks again alwasy learing something new on here.

/ weld spoon? what is it
that they do. i was wrong, but they dont offer much details in my opinion.

/ weld spoon? what is it #6  
I've got a 3ft piece of 1/2"x3" copper buss bar left over from a job that works great. Its heavy enough to clamp to as well but with the price of copper now it would probably worth $100 to replace. (I got it 30yrs ago)

/ weld spoon? what is it #7  
Got a buddy that does body work that used something like that but sans the handle. And his was made from 4 copper pennys all welded together.

Used it on the back side of 'larger' holes to help bridge the weld to the other side of the hole.

In fact that's what he called it, a 'bridge'.

I'm betting it's the same thing as what you got there.

/ weld spoon? what is it #8  
Off topic; What the heck does "silenced1206" mean ?