Welding: Damage to Electrics?

/ Welding: Damage to Electrics? #11  
I don't know about the electrical systems, but I do remember getting a safety lecture about not welding cracked rims on construction vehicles while the tires were on and inflated. Apparently you get a very big bang - big enough that you can lose a limb! Not sure it would apply to compact tractors, but I wouldn't recommend anyone be the guinea pig. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

Just did a quick web search and found an interesting article <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ohscanada.com/virtual-issue/artucle/tires.html>here</A> ...

Patrick

/ Welding: Damage to Electrics? #12  
<font color=blue>I can't gas weld on a vertical surface, due to my poor welding skills</font color=blue>

Hehe...it's not that hard. Just do what I do...just flip 'er on her side!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Welding: Damage to Electrics? #13  
I saw a guy weld the bearings to the crankshaft on a Peterbuilt one time by clamping the ground on the front bumper and then welding the mudflap brackets on. Does this count? Another thing, if you are welding a long way from the ground point, use AC. DC welding can cause a phenomenon known as " Arc Blow". Arc blow is when you're welding and the arc starts wandering all around the spot you want it. It about blew my mind the first time it happened to me, I figured I just about had this welding thing down pat when this s%$t starts happening! I was tacking plate on a steel hulled fishing boat about 30 feet from the welder so I doubt it will happen to you but I don't know how far away you have to be for it to happen. Something to keep in mind.

/ Welding: Damage to Electrics? #14  
Hehe...it's not that hard. Just do what I do...just flip 'er on her side!Tony, Don't laugh, thats just what we used to do when I had an Auto restoration shop. Here is a photo of a Jag XKE on the rotisserie all cleaned up and ready to be welded back together.

Attachments

• 48-102480-jag.jpg
    48-102480-jag.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 186
   / Welding: Damage to Electrics? #15  
Bring that unit over to my house... but it will have to do end to end, as I want to weld on the rear surface/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Welding: Damage to Electrics? #16  
LOL...Well Von, you're right. I was just making a joke but it appears to be a reality. Who da thunk it?!