Welding in a Tunnel - Problems

/ Welding in a Tunnel - Problems
I see you have some of your problem fixed. I too have had issues welding on thinner stuff, but I found the answer in 1/16th 6013 rod. I run it on the lowest amps that will still start an arc and keep the arc really short (i.e. keep the rod close to the puddle).

I know that 6013 is lower penetration, but that's the point isn't it? If you're blowing through, you have too much penetration. I'm a poor welder, but I can do pretty thin stuff now that I have that tiny rod.

Another trick that I have heard, but haven't tried is to switch your welder to AC to get less penetration. You might also try electrode negative.

I got my 1/16th rod from the fastenal guy that delivers at work. I'd think you could find it at an Airgas, Norco, or other welding supply store.

Thank you for the input, much appreciated.
This week at Fastenal I picked up the 7014 1/8" rod. Wanted some smaller but that was all they had. May have them order some smaller and 6013 as well.

I'm starting to get a grip on the new (to me) 7014, 1/8" runs & penetrates at 110 amps. Runs at lower amps but very little penetration.

Had a 50# box of Murex 1/8" 6011 and welded everything with it. Down to 3/32 galv. & up to 3/4". But could not find any, think years ago Fastenal use sell it.

Thanks Again.:thumbsup: