Comparison Went to dealers, asked a LOT of questions...think my list is down to 2

/ Went to dealers, asked a LOT of questions...think my list is down to 2 #11  
Re: Massey vs Kubota -> Went to dealers, asked a LOT of questions

Follow up to my first post on tractors and what I am looking to do and need - settling in the 50-55hp target (mostly dirt work)

Got out and checked the dealers I have available in my area (within an hour of the house)
Mahindra 2555 HST
Kubota MX5200 HST
Massey 2706E HST

Asked a TON of questions at each.
Looked at how they were built, how wires/hoses etc were routed, what was exposed, what was protected from brush and use, ground clearance and what could get snagged, how fitting were set, controls, welds, axle sizes, grease fittings and locations, oil change ease, service ease, common part access ....all that stuff, manufacturing shortcuts visible etc.
Long day but a good day.

All good rigs, no question or they wouldn't be in the market.
All that said, if Im looking at $35k+ for a rig, I will set my personal 'qualifications' for a rig and go with that, not my first rodeo. :D

The Mahindra IMO was not at the same quality of build, assembly, components etc as the other two. VERY clear.
Was that bad?
Not necessarily (so no Im not bashing Mahindra) and I KNOW that owners love em, but in my comparison and reading 'issues' here on this great forum and my 'gut' today in direct comparison to what I saw and touched (after 30+ years around heavy junk) the Mahindra was removed from my list.

Left me with the MF and the Kubota
Both builds and quality were IMO pretty equal, very high quality and attention to manufacturing and assembling detail and the component quality used.

The Massey on paper has a leg up on some of the performance measures, hyd flow, lift capability on both ends, already set with a single Hyd set to the rear at the 3-point, no DPF on the engine and while its not a deal killer the regen frequency with the DPF (depends on your usage) is something that would be nice to avoid. Yes Understand its only 15 min when it kicks in...still, a consideration with the rigs being so close.
I do like the hydraulic line routing on the Massey up front inside the bucket arms.
The flat deck on the Massey was nice, Im tall at 6'3" so getting up into it was a bit slicker without the bump, not a deal killer, but something on the list.

We have two personal friends that own Kubota's and have nothing but praise (which confirms what I read here on these forums)
I don't know anyone with the Massey, but I have read the reviews and complaints and complaints are VERY low and no systemic issues that I can find anywhere, on any forum or post.

Kubota, very strong dealer network locally, didn't have a chance to talk to the MF maintenance folks on parts availability, lead time etc, I know the Kubota's are lock solid in that arena, but I have not read anything anywhere that Massey parts are an issue.

Price is within $500-1000 max between the two with the implements I want OTD (PTO tiller and box blade), not enough honestly to quibble over with either rigs.

Now with the initial cut list done with my regional availability, next is tighter price checks then set up times for saddle rub test drives and see if one pushes me over the fence there.

Wish there was a 'Red Pill / Orange Pill' I could take to help me decide!! good thing is I don't think I would or could be unhappy with EITHER rig at the fort.

Any Massey owners still awake after this gum bumping want to tell me to run or you would buy it again??
Kubota owners want to let me go to school on your shot?

Thanx all, great forum and people that make it what it is!

Scott

Did you goto J&I in Yelm or Olympia? Greg (think he's the owners son?) at the Yelm location sold me my first tractor years ago, told me I was buying to small and gave very honest and candid feedback which at the time I figured was salesmanship...a year later I bought the tractor he initially recommended:p Ended up having a very good relationship with them and the other products they offer.

I've moved to bigger land and the MX5800 now. I'm closing in on 300 hours and I can only recall 1 or 2 regens where I had to change how I was opperating the tractor to support the regen and I don't think it ever took 15 minutes, more like 4-5 once you're at temp. I love my 5800 and have abused it but the things I don't like are the three point bottom bracket bolts (I have a BH so I'm constantly taking them on and off), seems like they will eventually thread out but if you wont be taking them off/on a lot that is 0 concern. I don't like the Kubota front hydro switch, seems like crap is constantly getting caught in there and it gets sticky and I wish it was sealed. Those are my only complaints, other than that it's pulled hundreds of stumps, prepped a lot of soil, mowed a lot of grass and now doing a lot of work in the woods.

/ Went to dealers, asked a LOT of questions...think my list is down to 2 #12  
I was really strong on getting a MF tractor and was looking at a 1652 IIRC but when sitting in the seat, nothing seemed to fit me ergonomically. On paper they looked good though. I ended up with my much larger LS P7010 which is very well laid out for operation. I know you didn't list LS as a prospective but maybe you should be looking at them also.
I love my little Kubota B26 and especially like the treadle pedal for the HST (lots of folks don't) but it is very fast to switch from F to R and not as awkward as my brother in law New Holland with dual pedals which sometime keep creeping when released.

I looked at Kubota when I purchased the LS but the dealer wasn't too interested in selling me a tractor (wouldn't return my phone calls) and didn't have time to talk to me when I was at the dealer because he was prepping another sale (supposedly) so he and I both missed out on that sale. Around here the Kubota brand is all owned by one guy within 70 miles of my house and they sell all the tractors that they can get so they aren't very customer oriented. I don't know how they are in your area so your mileage may vary but I think they have great tractors. I have not had any problems with my used B26 with almost 500 hours on it.

/ Went to dealers, asked a LOT of questions...think my list is down to 2 #13  
I have no knowledge of those models, but you mention the Massy has a flat floor and the kubota has a hump?
If it is what we always used to call a straddle tractor where you are sitting on the transmission housing with your
feet lower then the transmission and your legs next to the housing. If so, they gt quite hot when used for several hours
especially in hot weather and also the older I get the more I like flat deck platforms.

/ Went to dealers, asked a LOT of questions...think my list is down to 2 #14  
Just looking at the comment about the hydraulic lines the Kubota also runs it's hydraulic lines in the arms of the loader....

/ Went to dealers, asked a LOT of questions...think my list is down to 2 #15  
You indicated that you would be doing a lot of loader work. I assume you are looking at HST models then? Remember on the Kubota that your heel and toe don't both sit on the treadle pedal at the same time. The treadle really shines ergonomically when reversing and you are twisted in the seat.

:2cents:

It sure helps when you have big enough feet to just rock your foot forward and backward to run the treadle. :D I wouldn't have a HST any other way after using the L3400 treadle. I can actually drive around loading manure into the spreader faster than the loader hydraulics can keep up. (raising and lowering from pile to dump point)

/ Went to dealers, asked a LOT of questions...think my list is down to 2 #16  
Just as a heads up and I have no idea how wide spread the issue is, but several newer Masseys have been reported to really only be able to work in low range with the HST. This was with the 1700 series machines if I remember correctly. I would definitely see if the machines will spin the tires when locked into 4x4 mode in mid range if it were me.

Good luck with your choice. ;)