What causes tractor rollovers?

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #131  
I would go as far as saying every accident involving a human, could be traced back to human error.
Such as being in the wrong place at wrong time and watching Mt. Saint Helens blow? Accidents happen when outside of control danger occurs. Personally the worst way is if an orchard or disk pulling tracklayer (think D6) somehow stops and climbs the tracks until it overbalances and drops on its back. Next in line might be knocking down a power pole that puts live voltage on/in the tractor.

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #132  
In the 70's some accidents were cause by reving up the engine
then popping the clutch to climb a hill front end shot over backwards and the driver was kaput! I could see low rpm's and
slowly let out the clutch to climb the hill the safe way. Any time
when the rpm's are over 2k never pop clutch as your tractor will
turn upside down in an instant. Some kids think they know it all!

willy

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #133  
Such as being in the wrong place at wrong time and watching Mt. Saint Helens blow?

Only if you accidentally went there or slipped and fell. If you went there on purpose and it blew, it would just be a natural disaster. Not an accident.

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #134  
Only if you accidentally went there or slipped and fell. If you went there on purpose and it blew, it would just be a natural disaster. Not an accident.
Flew over it on way to Juneau, AK and it was lightly smoking. On the way back we couldn't see it because of cloud, ash, smoke but had seen a news clip before leaving Juneau after sisters wedding.

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #135  
I have use tractors for few years with boom mower. This past Friday I came as close as ever to a roll over on the side. I was using a rear 3pth flail mower with hyd offset. Mowing the side of rural road to the road ditch, as shallow as 18" up to about 30". Did not realize my mower was dragging in the ditch bank enough to slowly be pulling my tractor to the ditch. As I was realizing my tractor was drifting that way my right front tire dropped into the ditch and by the time I could stop my tractor the right rear wheel was sliding sideways into the ditch.

No problem I thought, put it in four wheel drive, lift mower and bring it in and back out. Only problem was the mower was both holding it up and helping it want to tip at the same time. So could not pull mower in and raise it clear of the ditch bank to back out. Ended fine with chaining to uphill lift arm and pulling to prevent it tipping on its side and enough pull to get it out the ditch.

What caused this? One I was mowing too fast for safety. I was almost home and just cutting the road shoulder so no problem...failure to realize my mower was pulling my tractor towards the ditch with dragging in the ditch. Speed kills.

Want to add something here. I worked for a mobile crane manufacture a few years ago. We tested ever machine we made with driving up a test slope for brakes, ability to lift the rated loads and tipping radius. We would fully tip test every machine on outriggers and rubber. We never had a safety issue for we always move SLOWLY with loads near the ground. As soon as the load touch the tipping motion stopped. Had it been done fast or with load high, the momentum would or could have continued the tipping of the crane.

Be careful out there.

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #136  
Inattention to what we are doing will get or come close to getting everyone of us at some point, it's not a matter of if but when. That is why I it bothers me for people to be listening to music or whatever when operating a machine. It's a distraction pure and simple. One that I will not allow anyone operating a piece of machinery to do if it is my machine or working around me. I want full attention on the task at hand, no matter how boring or mind numbing it might be, not the next song on a play list.

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #138  
The ones I've seen have large counterweights on one side, I'd say they mow in one direction to keep that side uphill.
Lots of JDs up this way, though maybe those are in N.H.

If the tractor has a boom mounted flail, then it will have a counterbalance on the other side. I.E. The ones mowing ditches, along fences, and mowing brush back away from the sides of the road.