What coolant to add to Max 25

/ What coolant to add to Max 25 #1  

ronmar22

Tractor
Mahindra Max 25
There seems to be a little confusion (at least I'm a little confused) on exactly what coolant to use top off my Max 25. Has just over 55 hours and coolant is down small amount. After reading (on this site) about putting wrong coolant in and having big problems, I want to make sure. Any input would be appreciated. Dealer has not been a lot of help here.

/ What coolant to add to Max 25 #2  
ronmar22,
Open radiator cap (with engine cold) and look at the color of the coolant. If it is GREEN or YELLOW-GREEN, then add a 50/50 mix of Ethylene Glycol to top off. If the color is RED or PINK - RED, then add a 50/50 mix of Propylene glycol. DO NOT mix the two. They are NOT alike. If mixed, they MAY cause damage to the cooling system. If you wish to switch from one to the other, BE SURE to flush out the system VERY good before the change. The only obvious difference is that the RED has a LONGER life cycle than the GREEN. If there isn't much difference in the cost for you, I would change to the RED at a major service time. (I changed mine at the 500 hr service) :2cents: Good luck.

Dave

/ What coolant to add to Max 25 #3  
Check the owners manual. Most Diesel engines require a low silicate formula. I use the "Fleetguard" from tractor supply, it is low silicate and approved for diesel service.

/ What coolant to add to Max 25
ronmar22,
Open radiator cap (with engine cold) and look at the color of the coolant. If it is GREEN or YELLOW-GREEN, then add a 50/50 mix of Ethylene Glycol to top off. If the color is RED or PINK - RED, then add a 50/50 mix of Propylene glycol. DO NOT mix the two. They are NOT alike. If mixed, they MAY cause damage to the cooling system. If you wish to switch from one to the other, BE SURE to flush out the system VERY good before the change. The only obvious difference is that the RED has a LONGER life cycle than the GREEN. If there isn't much difference in the cost for you, I would change to the RED at a major service time. (I changed mine at the 500 hr service) :2cents: Good luck.

Dave

Thanks. That is what I really expected to hear but wanted reassurance that I was going to do the right thing. It does have the green coolant in it from factory. Thanks again.

/ What coolant to add to Max 25
I'll check out my local TS for the Fleetguard. Thanks for the info.

/ What coolant to add to Max 25 #6  
I'll check out my local TS for the Fleetguard. Thanks for the info.

If you are going to stay with the GREEN, there should be no problems. I would suggest changing to the RED at a major service time. The RED does not have silicates. It is a longer life coolant / antifreeze. You can go LONGER between drain and flush times without the problems caused by silicates. Until retirement, I used the RED in the big trucks I drove for over 15 of the 30+ years I drove. Never had a problem with it.:2cents:

Dave