what do i need?

/ what do i need? #1  

barbiefarmer

Tractor
none
Hi- I have purchased 14 acres of land and need advice on what type of equipment I need. The land is flat but terribly overgrown. I will need to put some sort of road in and something to move all those logs on the ground - and today I almost stepped on a rattlesnake. HELP. I think I need a really really tall tractor that runs over snakes and someone to teach me how to drive it. Any suggestions for where to learn in SC?

/ what do i need? #2  
Hire someone to do the initial cleanup for you, that will help rid some of your snake problems. I'll let the rest of the folks tell what you can get for 50k:thumbsup:

Ronnie

/ what do i need? #3  
Almost pissing off a rattlers will wake you up! I agree with MF283- hire someone with the right equipment to clear up the mess, and then, if you can't see where you're walking, be up on a tractor. Just don't drive too fast, or you could flip them right up into your lap!

A 30-40 CUT, with a loader grapple, will be your friend if you are DIYing. My present L3400, if it had a grapple for its SSQA, would be under $20 K, but bigger would be faster. Burn pile? Snakes will be coming out all around when you light it up.

I happen to love Kubotas, and would suggest looking for a clean used one. Now is the time to shop around, and I think you can get what you need for under $25,000, ready to work. Tractorhouse.com is a good place to look for used equipment pricing- asking price is usually higher than selling price, though. Lots of guys have bought from Barlow's in KY, and had their tractor delivered. They have a good rep.

Spend productive hours reading posts and threads here, to get some fundamental ideas about what is what.

/ what do i need? #4  
Tractor: 35-45 hp (engine), 4WD, power steering, hydrostatic transmission, ag tires, dual rear hydraulic remote connections, front end loader (FEL) with 5-ft wide bucket and skid steer quick attach (SSQA) option.

Implements:

- rotary mower (aka brush hog, bush hog, shredder, slasher) 5-ft diameter
- grapple attachment for your FEL
- box blade 5 or 6 ft wide

If you're unfamiliar with the names of these implements, just Google the names for the info you'll need.

Work with dealers in your vicinity (50-100 mile radius). Check out the dealer's parts and service departments (size of parts inventory, service area equipment available).

Test drive tractors you like. Get as much seat time before your buy.

Look for attractive financing deals.

Best approach: take someone who knows tractors with you when you go tractor shopping.

Good luck

/ what do i need? #5  
Overgrown?
That can mean a lot of different things.
Could mean all you need is a good brush hog ( bush hog, rotary cutter), or it can mean you need a chainsaw, and maybe an excavator or bulldozer depending if you want to get rid of stumps (or let them rot).

You mention logs. Are they already cut? How big? What are you going to do with them? A grapple would be handy. Then you have to pay attention to lift capacity of any loader you buy..
Got any pictures?

/ what do i need? #6  
Pictures would help also your price rannge,if in hurry to start working the land hire it out than you'll have better idea what tractor and attachments to purchase.

/ what do i need? #7  
Hire someone with a crawler tractor to clean the land up for you. Then sit down and make up a list of the things you want to do with your land. When you have thoughtfully put that list together, get back here and ask that question. You'll get a lot of good advice that you'll have to sort through to decide on the tractor that's right for you.