What do you trailer a BX24 with?

/ What do you trailer a BX24 with? #1  

asylum575

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
Hello all,
Just about ready to pull the trigger on a BX24. I've been looking to replace my old 4x8 landscape trailer with something bigger. I guess this is my opportunity. I've been leaning towards a dual axle 6x14 landscape trailer. The question is, will the BX24 fit on a 6x14 safely. I prefer the landscape type trailers, but may have to go up to a car hauler type trailer, probably
6x16. The BX will be moved around a couple of times a year, and I need to move my 1965 Mustang. I'm not sue if the Stang will fit on a 6x14. The ford is about 15 1/2 feet long, so the front bumper will be over the front rail of the trailer.

/ What do you trailer a BX24 with? #2  
I use my 16' steel decked Parker car trailer behind my 95 Ram. Tractor fits without overhang, trailer is 20' long total. Worked very well this weekend. 14' would be too short, plus you probably wouldn't have enough room front to back to distribute the weight properly.

/ What do you trailer a BX24 with? #3  
Concur with Mr. Mopauly on 16'. Depending on what you load with it (sometimes I like to carry my Box-Blade or some lumber or something...or even not have your BH attached) you'll want to be able to pull the tractor forward or backward depending so you get your tongue loading right.

Whatever you do, dual axle and at least 1 set of brakes is critical. That locks you in to at least 14'. And make sure the gate can handle the tractor...most landscaping tractors just have the 'cheese grater' stuff that you need to augment with metal/wood.

My brother has a 2005 Mustang (Legend Lime GT with Saleen supercharger, Cervini body kit further customized by his shop, painted stripes, new mirrors, many other bits making it a repeat show-winner) that he transports in an enclosed 8.5' x 24' trailer. Not sure what that has to do with an open trailer, but I'd wonder what the doors would do over the wheel arches of a 6' trailer...would you be climbing out the windows? Really...just wondering.

/ What do you trailer a BX24 with? #4  
There is a lot of info re. this in the archives. Please don't take this personally, but folks have discussed it so much that many may not feel inspired to write the same things over again. If you do several searches in this same forum, with no beginning date limit, for "BX22 trailer" "BX23 trailer" "BX trailer" "BX23 towing" "BX22 towing" "BX towing", you should get numerous threads with dozens and dozens of posts on this topic. Good luck.

/ What do you trailer a BX24 with?
Thanks for the archive note, I'll save future posts for my new BX

/ What do you trailer a BX24 with? #6  
Since you're planning on hauling your mustang you'll want a car hauler, end of story. :D
Like my BX23 you're BX24 w/MMM tips the scales at around 2500lbs so if you're only going to haul the BX24 the bare minimum you can go with is with a 3500lb single axle and that is if the trailer itself weighs in at less than 1000 lbs. As for size, this depends upon whether the BX will have a MMM or not. The obsolute bare minimum for a BX TLB w/a 60" MMM would be a 6x12 w/a single 3500lb axle.
This is what I have, it is a very tight fit and I don't take it into heavy traffic.
This is the bare minimum and works for short infrequent hauls but if you are going to haul long distances and/or in stop and go traffic I highly recommend a twin axle 7000 lb 6x16 or a more versatile car hauler. Either with at least one set of electric brakes and a controller in your tow vehicle. You'll be well under capacity and be able to stop nearly as good as if you weren't pulling a tractor on a trailer. This is the safest way to go and my recommendation.

Attachments

• BX23 & trailer 1.jpg
    BX23 & trailer 1.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 878
  • BX23 & trailer 2.jpg
    BX23 & trailer 2.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 1,063
   / What do you trailer a BX24 with? #7  
Mr. Volfandt, I pull essentially the same rig around on a 3,500# 5 x 10. No fun. New trailer this fall, probably. Hate to go with a 6 x 16 (I tend to use it around the yard as well), but that is certainly the right size.

One thing I didn't mention about the controller for the brakes: Get the best one you can get. The difference is, like $50, to go with the gold standard rather than a cheapie. My brother (tows an enclosed car trailer) and my dad (tows a 37' 5th wheel) both have the Tekonsha PRODIGY controler and have remarked on how natural a "feel" it has over the controllers they've had in the past.

I have a new theory on trailers and towing. If you want to tow something that weighs 3,000#, get a trailer rated for AT LEAST 6,000# for it to feel "safe". If you notice, most car trailers (a car weighs 2.5 or so tons) are rated at 10,000#.

The same theory extends to tow vehicles. Just because your Honda Odessey is rated to tow 3,500#, doesn't mean you SHOULD tow that with it. I had a 4Runner, and could feel just my trailer behind it. It was rated at 5,000# and my 5,000# boat felt like I was dragging around 20 coffins. Couldn't go over 55 MPH and got 3 MPG. My Expedition is rated for some 9,000# (optional gearing and stuff) and it handled that boat wonderfully (70 MPH no problem at 11-12 MPG). Whatever you want to carry, DOUBLE the weight, then have a trailer and tow vehicle capable of roughly that range. THEN it will start to feel JUUUUST RIGHT.