What is best way to cross a ditch?

/ What is best way to cross a ditch? #21  
Do 2WD front axles pivot more than 4WD front axles? Why?

Yes.

No.

On ONE particular brand/model you could give an answer, but without specifics I would be willing to bet a Benjamin that you can find multiple 4WD models with axles that pivot more than multiple 2WD models, and vice versa.

Ours is not to reason "why?".

/ What is best way to cross a ditch? #22  
...or worse, forcing a PTO driveshaft into the tractor case.

Pardon my possible ignorance, but it's hard to image a proper length PTO shaft doing that. But maybe some tractors/implements have so much movement over such a short range that it could happen?

/ What is best way to cross a ditch? #23  
Re: What is best way to cross a ditch or wall?

Crossing a Ditch:

If you have a strong loader and hoe and have a bit some skill and caution.

Pick up front wheels just a bit with the loader bucket, keeping floor of bucket flat with ground.

Place hoe in the the ditch and pick up rear of tractor.

Swing rear to other side of ditch using hoe.

Use the bucket to crab and push front end.

Crossing a wall.
For short walls like a foundation footer you place the hoe on the other side of the wall, lift the machine so the rear tires sit on the wall. Set the brakes hard.

Lift the front of the machine high with bucket edge.
Place few cinder blocks so you can set the front tires down as start to move the rear of the machine over the wall with the hoe.
Re-position the hoe and bucket so you can move the tractor so the front wheels rest on the wall.

Set the rear tires on the ground.

Use the bucket to get rear tires over the wall.

Block up front tires with cinder blocks sitting on planks. You don't want blocking kicking out on soft ground.

Use the loader to lower the tractor.

I've don this when the door opening for the footer wall is too narrow to fit the machine inside the foundation and you need to spread stone for the floor ,etc.
Helps to have a spotter.

Better yet, just rent a small skid steer.

/ What is best way to cross a ditch? #24  
SLOWLY.......no matter what angle or straight on. or the implement, or vehicle, or depth, or bottom or etc.....