What is non fiber wheel bearing grease?

/ What is non fiber wheel bearing grease? #1  

chupacabra

Bronze Member
Tractor
iseki 1300TX
The rotary cutter that I have has a sticker on it saying to use only non fiber wheel bearing grease. What is that? I have searched online and cant find it. Is it the 0 grease from snapper or what?

Thanks,

Chupacabra

/ What is non fiber wheel bearing grease? #2  
Fiber wheel bearing grease was necessary for type bearings (mostly ball) up until about 50 years ago. You would have a difficult time finding any if you tried. The best description I can think of is that fiber grease look's similar to earwax. Just grab the stuff in can or tube that say's it's approved for disc breaks and use it in wheels plus any where with zerks.

/ What is non fiber wheel bearing grease?
What I meant to say was that the sticker is on the transmission. Non fiber wheel bearing grease goes in it. Is that just regular tube grease?

/ What is non fiber wheel bearing grease? #4  
To be honest,I'm accustomed to stickers,owner's manual and such telling me WHAT TO USE rather than WHAT NOT TO USE. When they put it that way it mean's to use anything besides that. Kind of a screwball thing for a mfgr to do. Every rotory cutter box I have serviced called for GEAR OIL 75W90, 80W,80w90, 140W or the like. Before you put grease in it,I recommend getting clearification from mfgr.

To be honest,I'm accustomed to stickers,owner's manual and such telling me WHAT TO USE rather than WHAT NOT TO USE. When they put it that way it mean's to use anything besides that. Kind of a screwball thing for a mfgr to do. Every rotory cutter box I have serviced called for GEAR OIL 75W90, 80W,80w90, 140W or the like. Before you put grease in it,I recommend getting clearification from mfgr.

Cutter gear box.jpgCutter gear box.jpg

The cutter is 42 inches wide and has no name on it.

Could I just use some 140 weight in it?

/ What is non fiber wheel bearing grease? #6  
I have no experience with the mower in question,therefore I defer in hopes someone come's along that has a mower which call's for grease rather than oil. I suppose if it has a zerk like those on drive shaft and trail wheel,that's a dead give away grease was intended.

It has a plug that you unscrew to put it in with.

I just went with 00 grease from Stens. I put 18 oz. in it, at 12.00 for a 9 ounce tube. Thanks for your help.

Chupacabra

/ What is non fiber wheel bearing grease? #9  
Just about any lube you put in an old gearbox will be fine. Grease is often used instead of oil when the seals go out & arent economical to replace. I did that on a flail mower I paid $100 for.

/ What is non fiber wheel bearing grease? #10  
Just about any lube you put in an old gearbox will be fine. Grease is often used instead of oil when the seals go out & arent economical to replace. I did that on a flail mower I paid $100 for.

Yep, around here it is normal to use John Deere Corn Head grease (equivalent to 0 grease) in PTO driven gear boxes and steering sectors of old tractors just so you don't have the leaks associated with old seals. It works great and is plenty cheap enough.