What size chain would you use?

/ What size chain would you use? #11  
The drum would likey fail before even 1/4" grade 30 "proof coil" chain would:confused2:

/ What size chain would you use? #13  
Having seen a few too many accidents for someone not in the emergency services, I also recommend a 50 gallon bucket. Cleanup will be a lot quicker and cleaner.

/ What size chain would you use? #14  
I am thinking of building one of these to trim some trees. What size chain do you think I should use?

You are WHAT:confused: Rather than using the 44 / 55 gallon drum, it may be a suggestion to make a solid platform to attach to the chain. In certain circumstances, those drums tend to collapse in on themselves, and the chains and the drum could crush the person in the drum.

I would make the suggestion that you build for yourself a proper platform. You should be able to build one from timber and some right angle steel. By doing that, you will have room to move and the platform is less likely to be moving around while you are trying to work! If it is set up properly, you will also have room to store your tools while you are working. ;) If you think about it carefully, you should be able to set it up so that it is forklift and crane friendly. :D

As for the chain... if it was me, I would be looking to go 1/2" and use D shackles for joiners. When people are in a bucket, you need to be positive with your locking devices. Grab hooks and claws do not do that for me... I would also be looking to use 12' legs on the chain, so that the chain is not angling in where I am trying to work.

Have fun while you are doing your work, but please remember that we want you back here... in one piece!!!

Ding.

/ What size chain would you use? #15  
One of my most memorable rides was about 300ft from the roof of the restaurant up to the base of the antenna of the CN tower (Toronto)the week before the chopper dropped the antenna into place. Two of us in a custom made bucket on a cable hoist..
.I had just stopped into the jobsite to pick up a few tools and the foreman offered to "take me for a ride". Once we got up there I was allowed to write my name on the concrete of the antenna mounts.

/ What size chain would you use? #16  
My guess is that if 1/4 " from a discount store won't hold you reliably than you won't go in the barrel.

/ What size chain would you use? #17  
I worked for a company that was wanting to use a boom truck and a barrel set up to trim trees. They had a 300k motor home in thd lot out back but couldnt hire a tree service. They made a bucket from a drum and put a 200 pound man in it. The sides folded in 30 feet up and the clevis ripped through the sheetmetal barrel. The rolled ring at the top saved it. I have made man baskets befor for boom trucks and cranes. We just made a 1 1/4 inch tube square frame with a good bottom. THen added the pramid on top with a good eye hook.

/ What size chain would you use? #18  
I have heard of "Bucket Trucks". I have heard of "Cherry Pickers". I suppose that set up would appropriately be called a "Barrel or Drum Picker".:D