What to charge?

/ What to charge? #11  
i totally agree with MARKV, make sure u check your ins. policy. mine would cover any damage to tractor or property AS long as i was not doing commerical work(getting paid).

/ What to charge? #12  
Peter,

We have an unwritten rule in my neighborhood. We never ask a neighbor for an unreasonable favor and when we do a favor for someone we NEVER charge them for it. I have worked for hours at the time for neighbors and they have done the same for me many times and no money changed hands. We always offer and the offer is always refused.

Most of us have things (tractors, welding machine etc.) that others might not have and we try to share our talents with each other. Some of the older folks don't have much to offer but their heartfelt gratitude. Sometimes that is the best kind of compensation.

I know maintaining a tractor and equipment is expensive but good neighbors are priceless.

TBone

/ What to charge? #13  
I live on a private lane and for the last 24 years I have kept the lane clear of snow. I have never charged for any of it. I have had a widow at one time who had a very limited income. She always wanted to pay me, but I always refused. I have felt better not charging anything.

/ What to charge? #14  
While we still live in town, I've kept the neighbors drives cleared of snow. I never ask for anything, but there is a steady supply of home baked goods. One neighbor sent a $25 gift certificate to a local eatery at Christmas. Life is too short to bicker with your neighbors over a small job, the equipment pays for it self during the summer mowing.

Paul

/ What to charge? #15  
I knew there were a lot of good people on TBN.
A neighbor of my parents keep their road and drive cleared at no charge. That has inspired me to do the same for my neighbors. I truly beleive it all comes around.
Rich...

/ What to charge?
Last weekend I worked on the driveway for my neighbor. When we sat down and really looked at it, there was much less work than I thought. I straightened things out for him and neither of us mentioned money again.

Peter

/ What to charge? #17  
I help out the neighbors too, not accepting any money. One neighbor who helps me out a lot in many ways, always asks "What do I owe you?" I answer, "Nothing, until I finally catch up with what I owe you." Another neighbor moved in, and I have occasionally plowed out their drive and had dinner (wife and I) paid for when at a local restaurant, which was more than enough. He travels a lot, and was happy to have the drive done for his wife. Another neighbor is older and has a bad heart, but is a hard worker, and always doing things by hand. I see him out there, and buzz over with the FEL and move rocks, fence posts, wire, etc. that he is always digging out - then sit and talk a lot. He's pretty sick now, and I will miss him if anything happens to him. With another neighbor, we have an old blacktop town road that we help each other out with. He buys the loads of gravel, and I dig out the soft spots, and pack in the gravel. We are both happy. Another neighbor (closest one is 1/8 mile away) bought his own JD 4500 after I helped him out a few times with my 4300 - I give him a hard time about getting one bigger than mine! I know if I ever would need help, he would be right over. Its a comforting feeling to have and to nurture good neighbors.

/ What to charge? #18  
Beenthere, I know what you mean. My neighbor has a commanche pickup truck with a plow and I wasn't sure (still not yet) if I will be getting my NH TC29D this year (money, new house etc.) and the neighbor down the road has a tractor and so does the neighbor up the road. Good thing we all will have the tools and toys to help one another. Once we break ground I plan on meeting each and introducing us to the neighborhood so if anyone needs help they can always count me in.

/ What to charge? #19  
If at all possible, squeeze that new tractor in on one or two of the house projects.