What to look for when buying used? MF 1125

/ What to look for when buying used? MF 1125 #1  

Jubjub

Tomorrow, we are driving to see and possibly buy a 92-93 Massey 1125. 4wd with 22 PTO HP. It has at least 1300 hours on the clock (meter not working). There are some minor repairs to be made. There's damage to the 3-point hitch leveler and the lifting arms. The owner said the radiator may need to be rodded, since it does run hot when stressed. There are a few other problems, like leaks, cracked shifter boots, etc. I think some of it is normal wear and tear, and some is from lack of attention/maintenance.

From what I've seen, the 1125 is basically like today's 1240 Massey, except with a smaller engine. Same capacities, dimensions, weight, gearbox.

Do you guys think $5000 is a fair price, despite the fact the tractor may have had a spotty maintenance history? Machinery Link lists a price of $7300 for this tractor in FAIR condition. I estimate repairs will run $250-400 + a good bit of sweat equity. If, in 1 year, we traded this tractor in at a dealer, what might I expect for trade-in value.

During inspection, I plan to start the cold engine and see how well it starts. Lift an implement and see if it falls when the engine is off. What else should I inspect? I have good mechanical skills, but know little about actual tractors. Should I even by looking without more info?

I think this tractor is a good buy, but don't want to screw up and buy a lemon.

Comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jay

/ What to look for when buying used? MF 1125 #2  
TRACTORS from MASSEY FERGUSON
Model = 1125 4WD

SPECIFICATIONS
Years Mfg: 1992-1993
Fuel: D

Engine Make: ISEKI 3-CYL

CID: 87.2

Engine HP: 22.5 PTO
25-E

Cab: ROPS

No.Speeds: 16/16

Weight(Pounds): 2,634

List Price: $13,400

PRICING
Year Ad Price Est.Loan Value
1992 $7,772 $5,130
1993 $8,174 $5,395
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The overheating could be a radiator problem or a defective head gasket, bad head, cracked block... /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

The bent rear lift arms may be signs of "abuse"...

Cracked shifter boots means if the unit is left outside in the weather... rain, snow, water gets into the transmission area... contaminates the hydraulic fluid, cavitates/wears the hydraulic pump...

Personally, I think you may have found a "problem child"... not necessarily a "good deal" when all is done and over with... /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bottom line... it's a tough call for sight unseen... but the history doesn't "smell good"... if you gots to have it... bid way way low... like $1500... and work your way up (set a ceiling and stop)

/ What to look for when buying used? MF 1125
Well, we ended up buying the tractor. The seller was upfront and honest, and sent a dozen or so good pictures of the tractor. When we got there to inspect the tractor, there were no surprises. There are a few small problems, but after one day of good wrenching, it's in super shape.

For $5000, I feel we got a good tractor. It isn't a brand new 1250 like we had considered, but at 1/3 the price, I'm not complaining one bit.

Barring any tragic engine or transmission problems, I feel we should get great use of the machine and still retain the ability to resell and regain our entire investment.

Thanks for the comments.

Jay