What used tractor

/ What used tractor #1  

Deaf

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford New Holland
About 4 months ago I was posting inTBN in regards to a B7500 or CK20. I was just about to buy a B7500(The CK dealer was an A--) when another chunk of land went for sale next to ours so we purchased it and now have 132 acres total in S. Ohio.

Would like to get a used tractor since the $$$ are low and wanted to see if i could get some help. I would like to have a FEL and be able to run a 48 or 60" hogg. Tractor needs to have a low center of gravity since our land is hilly. I would want to feel safe on it. Both CK20 and B7500 gave me that feeling. Size wise (weight & mass) they were perfect

Is there a used tractor out there I should be looking for. Been all over this web site for weeks on end and have come up blank.

Thanks for the help.

/ What used tractor #2  
With 132 acers.. I don't think you will be happy with a compact tractor... asking about a 4' mower also seems a bit.. undersized.
With no other info as to what you are trying to do...My advice would be to get a slightly older AG tractor. They don't hold value for resale well. For instance.. down the road is a 130 hp Fiat for sale for 6500$.. a while back, up the road there was a 105ptohp ford 8000 for sale... 4995$ I saw a 150hp case in the paper for 5500$ the other day. Thes prices are roughly the same for a 25-30 hp early model tractor.. like ford 2000 maybee 3000, etc.

Let us know what your plans are to do with the land...
That is usually the best indicator of what size you need.

Soundguy

/ What used tractor
sorry for the lack of info. I did not want to get long winded. The 132 acres is a hunting camp. We have ~ 30-40 acres open and I would say we will cut it all but not all at one time. Would like to put in some food plots for deer and turkey.

I wanted to keep the tractor small so we could hual it home with a 1/2 ton truck. If I get somthing big will have to leave it there in the open or a shed. The lot is pretty remote and the chances of theft are high. A B7500 would be able to do the work I just could not rush it but were there once or twice a months so I could take my time and enjoy the work(play).

A larger tractor is not totally out but would need to store it up the rd then nmost likly share it with the local who stores it for me.

/ What used tractor #4  
I run a half ton pick-up and tow trailers with the largest of the L-series with it all the time. I wouldn't want to head to Ohio with it as I could use more power but I would have no trouble counting on it for ocassional use for a few miles.

/ What used tractor #5  
you plan on haulin your disc cultivators ridger etc at same time as tractor. you lookin a 20 ft trailer min. id buy a ole 3/4 ton 4x4 to pull with at the least. id go bigger an leave there.
it gets old totein a tractor with these crazy drivers in a hurry goin nowhere

/ What used tractor #6  
You've got a lot of good choices in the used market.

My recomendations:
Deere 670, 770, 750, 755, 855. These are all smaller tractors.The horsepower ranges from (all PTO HP, BTW) 16.5 to 21. The 70 series are gear machines, the 55 series are hydros. You should see reasonable prices in the early 1990's vintage. All of them are robust machines. For stability, I'd make sure the rear tires were loaded on any of the tractors I've suggested.

I run a 60" cutter on my 670 (16.5 HP at the PTO). Does a good job for me, but I've only a little over an acre of brush cutting (tall, thick brush though). With the acerage you're talking about...I'd go a bit bigger on the tractor (HP wise).

Biggest downside is you won't get the financing you'd get with a newer machine.

I'm sure our brothers and sisters on TBN will get you more advice on other brands then you'll want to read!