What would happen ??

/ What would happen ?? #32  
Brown makes a heavy duty brush cutter, a "tree cutter " I think it is called. Seriously heavy duty and probably has a price tag to prove it. I have seen them used, never in use, or sitting ready to be used. One version had a spring loaded back part of the mower deck that would retract as you backed the blade into a tree, basically keeping the blade covered at all times.(Sort of a 6'version of PoppaMike's mower, with a spring loaded plate covering the blade.) Something to keep in mind if you do build one, is the "kick" when the blade enters or catches while cutting. Remember how much a Skillsaw kicks when it sticks? Multiple that many times over for a blade like this! If you use a lawnmower, consideration for constantly breaking the key on the crankshaft might be needed!
David from Jax

/ What would happen ?? #33  
Wonder what cut bamboo would do to your tractor tires if you drive over it?
David from jax

/ What would happen ?? #34  
Wonder what cut bamboo would do to your tractor tires if you drive over it?
David from jax

I can’t say anything about bamboo from experience, but I have driven over cut corn stalks and it’s scary. Nothing bad happened, but I won’t do it again.

I have turf tires.

I imagine cut bamboo is stronger and sharper than corn stalks.

MoKelly

/ What would happen ?? #35  
I had a beaver blade on a DR mower/trimmer that would take your bamboo down pretty quickly. The advantage of the beaver blade is that the chain saw chain around the circular disc is safer than fixed toothed circular blades because it can slip. Still some danger I suppose if the chain broke. But it never did. I cut down quite a few saplings up to 3 inch thick with it. It worked pretty well. I gave the whole thing away to a relative as I didn't have a lot of use for it where I live. With the beaver blade you use a different mow ball than when you are using the DR to cut grass with. This mow ball is aluminum as the beaver blade can get hot enough to melt the normal plastic mow ball on the DR trimmer.

So there you have my two cents.

/ What would happen ?? #37  
Bamboo is a grass. BIG but still a grass. Cutting it will not kill it or limit the spread. Some bamboo's have roots up to 2' deep.
Digging it out is the only way to be rid of it. (My father-in-law did just that some 30 years ago by hand.) Short of some heavy chemicals, that's the only way.

If you want to limit the spread of it, you need to bury a 2' deep impenetrable wall all the way around it.
It was at this point I decided bamboo can continue to be someone else's problem and nixed it from the yard plans. ;)

As far as a saw blade on a mower. Get some Kevlar shin guards and steel boots!

For cutting brush in places to small for the brush hog, I use a pole saw attachment on the weed whacker. Works great and no bending over. I used that to perimeter cut 3 wooded acres of our 5 acre property for a fence line.

/ What would happen ?? #38  
You mean like this?

Attachments

• Tree saw.jpg
    Tree saw.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 79