Buying Advice Whats Not to Like about a 2538?

/ Whats Not to Like about a 2538? #1  

BLSXJ

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
I'm think I'm going to be pulling the trigger on a 2538 in the next 6 months. I still have a bit of "research" to do on my local dealer options.

I've read a bunch of threads on the 2538 and already know about a few "issues", complaints or gripes, but what else is out there? any buyers remorse?

I already know about...
- the the top link mount on the 3 point hitch being a little low, and the lower holes not being usable.
- the desire for a better suspension seat
- getting a 3rd function on the FEL is better done via the aftermarket, not through Mahindra.

thanks

/ Whats Not to Like about a 2538? #2  
I'm think I'm going to be pulling the trigger on a 2538 in the next 6 months. I still have a bit of "research" to do on my local dealer options.

I've read a bunch of threads on the 2538 and already know about a few "issues", complaints or gripes, but what else is out there? any buyers remorse?

I already know about...
- the the top link mount on the 3 point hitch being a little low, and the lower holes not being usable.
- getting a 3rd function on the FEL is better done via the aftermarket, not through Mahindra.

thanks

Have you looked at the 1538? It's a bit nicer machine and doesn't seem to be having as many issues as the TYM machines seems to be having. I know it's a little more but you do get what you pay for and it's a Mitsubishi built machine.

I find the seat pretty comfortable but it could use a seat cover for the inevitable tools in the back pocket problem. I wish someone would do up a nice one in real tree camo like the ones I put in my wife car.

/ Whats Not to Like about a 2538? #3  
I asked the question was there any reason to buy the 1538 over the 2538 and did not get one reason to choose the 1538 at a higher price for a shuttle shift over the HST 2538.

/ Whats Not to Like about a 2538? #4  
I asked the question was there any reason to buy the 1538 over the 2538 and did not get one reason to choose the 1538 at a higher price for a shuttle shift over the HST 2538.

Well for one thing it's built by Mitsubishi, that means Mitsu gears etc.. It a bit nicer in fit and finish and is also a bit more solidly built. If you live long enough you'll find that generally you get what you pay for. You can get either machine in shuttle or HST but for my property and my needs I went with the shuttle. The price difference considering the price for the whole machine just wasn't all that great.

/ Whats Not to Like about a 2538? #5  
Based on my experience with my 3016 mitsu built machine, my recommendation is pretty obvious.

/ Whats Not to Like about a 2538? #6  
I traded a tractor with the rocker shift pedal. I want none of it. I like the dual pedal setup of the 2538. I agree there are some things nice on the 1538 but those were things I did not need. Very happy so far with my 2538

/ Whats Not to Like about a 2538? #7  

I already know about...

thanks

- no issues with top link mounts for me - you may have seen the pictures I posted in a different thread
- check with dealer on seat as I was able to split the difference with them and get a suspension seat from a 2540 for about $300 bucks - it is a direct bolt on
- WR long makes a great 3rd function unit that is plug and play - picked mine up from Everything Attachments when getting a grapple

I owned a Max 25 which was a Mitsubishi sourced machine for 4 years. Loved it. (Mahindra now owns a third of a Mistsu heavy industries JV I believe.)

I have now owned this TYM sourced 2538 HST since December. Love it too!

No buyer's remorse and no issues for me. Even our small local dealer was, and is moving tons of these, so there are good number out there now. So far everyone I know who has picked one up has been pleased with their purchase. I have seen a couple of guys here on TBN who had a hydro pump spit the bit, but I don't know if that is 2 out of a 1,000, or 2 our of 10,000...

The 1538 HST would be a nice comparable tractor with a few more bells and whistles, and for some more money. I am sure the 1538 is very reliable as has been my 2538. If you want a gear machine then you could compare the 2540 to the 1538. Recall as well that with any of the Mahindras you are picking up a Tier IV final with no extra DPF jewelry, etc...

The strong capacities and weight of the 2538 coupled with its impressive agility and cornering capabilities have impressed me in the woods when doing grapple work.

It's also worth having a look at the JD 3038, the Kubota L3901, as well as the comparable Kioti and Branson. I contemplated all and landed on the Mahindra for capabilties, functionality, weight, engine, warranty, and cost. Since my purchase most majors have followed Mahindra's lead and started offering long powertrain warranties. This lead to Mahindra taking another step and providing a 7 year warranty. Nice!

Good luck with your decision!

/ Whats Not to Like about a 2538? #8  
I traded a tractor with the rocker shift pedal. I want none of it. I like the dual pedal setup of the 2538. I agree there are some things nice on the 1538 but those were things I did not need. Very happy so far with my 2538

Yeah I couldn't stand that silly rocker pedal either so I bought a shuttle/gear machine. It's fine for my place and what I do.