What's the biggest flail mower being run on and NX5510?

/ What's the biggest flail mower being run on and NX5510? #1  

DieselBound

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800; Kioti NX5510HC
I suspect that it might not make much difference between the NXs (though not sure about the NX4500).

Would like also be interested in hearing from folks using flails with side shift on them.

MODERATORS: Could you please relocate this to the Kioti Owning/Operating section? (sorry for mis-posting!)

/ What's the biggest flail mower being run on and NX5510? #2  
I run a 7' old Ford 917 flail behind my Kubota L3200 hst just fine. 60" wide, 32hp, 25ish PTO HP & with loader & ballast I'm around 3,500lbs. I have to mow slower than with my 5' rotary cutter, but cover more ground & get a better cut. I pick the old beat up flail over the nearly new rotary every time unless it's for brush or in tight spaces (or the bearing on the flail cutter shaft is busted like it currently is).

If you can lift it, you can spin it. You can always go slower if you are short on HP. Flail travel speed is generally slower than a rotary cutter though. The bigger question will be, what do you plan on doing with it? Mowing grass or pastures? Heavy brush & small trees?

/ What's the biggest flail mower being run on and NX5510? #3  
I agree with Fallon. If you can lift it you'll be able to spin it. I don't know how big flails get before you have to go to a pull type, but I think you'll be able to run any mounted flail you might encounter. Of course you might be mowing very slowly... Personally, though, I would much prefer a wider mower and a lower ground speed. Much more relaxing than the other way around.

/ What's the biggest flail mower being run on and NX5510? #4  
Yup. All things being even, which they rarely are, double the width & half the speed will cover the same ground in the same time. However one is much less mounting in the seat & easier on the operator & machine. It would be less maneuverable though.

/ What's the biggest flail mower being run on and NX5510?
Title of this thread didn't capture my full intent.:eek:

I've seen/read of folks with NX6010s running 7' field mowers so I don't see why a 7' flail would be out of question; however, a 7' side shifted one? (read on)

I saw a ditch flail that was 57" (stated to be the right size for the tractors in question) and while it would do ditches/banks it's undersized to get the bulk of my mowing done. So, I was thinking that having a side shift AND TNT would perhaps give me the ability to cut over the edges of ditches a bit (more so than standard flail). So, just like with the ditch flail, I'm thinking that the side shifted flail would, at some point, be too much stress (either on the 3pt or just make the tractor too tippy). Kind of wanting to hear personal experiences with side shift flails, and if anyone has tried tilting them any to cut over ditch/bank crowns.

I'm looking at Woodmax's side shift flails. They come in 78" and 88".

/ What's the biggest flail mower being run on and NX5510? #6  
I think my 584 IH is about the same HP,,, and easily handles my 90" JD 390,,,

2012-09-09140740800x498.jpg

I mow about 30-40 acres per year,,, maybe a little more.
I have cut hood high thick grass one time,,,I had to slow down a little in that,,,

Most times I am mowing 2 feet tall,, or less,, grass.

It will cut 8" tall grass into a lawn-like look.

Yeah, I'd seen your flail in the big flail thread. (contemplated posting my question to that thread, but it's kind of targeted toward the specifics of the tractor) Not like you need another person saying it, but... that's an awesome flail! How far out past the right wheel does that extend? This does or doesn't have side shift?

When I first moved here I plucked a stalk of canary grass and measured it: 9 1/2'! Of course, I don't let the grass get that tall! (less and less of the nasty stuff now since "natural selection" [repeated mowing] has displaced it) I mow probably 15 acres, plus or minus, (expanding each year- might end up with 25 or so before I drop dead :laughing:) several times during a season: lots of maneuvering between trees, so a side shift will be a must.

/ What's the biggest flail mower being run on and NX5510? #8  
Y How far out past the right wheel does that extend? This does or doesn't have side shift?

so a side shift will be a must.

The 390 has a fixed shift, I have never even thought about a shift, for me, fixed offset is perfect.

I guess it mows about 2 1/2 feet past the right tire,,, perfect for mowing over the roadside ditch.

Only one side of the tires run over the grass before cutting, unless you mow in the wrong direction.

I would never want a centered mower, after having the 390.

Good to hear mowing over the roadside ditch works well for you. That's really what I'm fishing for here: though I'm also hoping that maybe I might be able to do a bit of a tilt down the ditch via TNT (would be a bonus).

The folks with the Woodmax, for the 88" one, say that it'll shift 26" right (can't recall how far left). Not sure from what position: I've submitted a question to them. If I figure it's from center then I figure it'll be 30 1/2" past the right tire: tractor width is spec'd at 70"; cutting width of the mower is 79" (4 1/2" + 26" shift).

Last edited: