wheel issue

/ wheel issue #1  

craneman13

Bronze Member
Tractor
toolcat 5600 C
well here I sit banging my head with a 2x4. found a great deal on a set of wheels and tires for my cat. they were take offs from a new machine and never run. I found them locally on Face book. went yesterday and purchased from the guy. go them home and thought " wow this is great lets slap them on". WRONG. didn't know that an old cat, 2005, and a new cat, 2017, don't have the same wheel stud pattern. mine is 6" the new are 5.5". so I now have 4 great new tires but wheels that are worthless.
to make it worse I thought at first since its only a 1/2" difference why not drill out the holes a bit and it should be fine. NOPE, after I did that, then I found out that the center hub hole is also different. 4.5 on the old and 4 on the new. so I now have 3 good wheels and one crappy one.
live and learn, right? at least the tires are fantastic. still have the nubs on them. they will be fine, but my idea of 2 sets of tires, turf and mud, is out the window.
anyone in Maryland that might be looking for 3 newer style cat wheels. contact me

/ wheel issue #2  
My first thought was “what a dumb thing to do!”

Fortunately or perhaps UNfortunately I’ve done MORE than my fair share of dumb things. Most likely I’ve FORGOTTEN more screwups than the average person will do in a lifetime.

Move on and don’t beat yourself up. No one got hurt and you prob learned something.

BTW. Personally I would advertise as a PAIR of new wheels with a third thrown in free. (Priced accordingly of course) OR three individual wheels as spares to maximize your recovery.

/ wheel issue #3  
Too bad you didn't do some search and research here. That difference has been posted in several threads.

/ wheel issue #4  
The older Toolcats use an "agriculture" rim and the newer ones use an "auto" style rim. I bought a perfectly good set of rims from a Toyota and a set of expensive snow tires and then realized the rims didn't fit. Welcome to the "I've done my fare share of dumb ****" club.

/ wheel issue #5  
Assumptions are the Mother of all freak-ups!

Sometimes, no matter how well you think something out, there is yet something else, you knew nothing about that will mess you up.

What about rim width?

/ wheel issue
rim width looks to be the same. might be a different offset not sure. too pissed and kicking them to see. lol
do one of you good folk know what year the change happened? would like to sell these but I am sure I will be asked " what year do they fit".
not a total loss as the tires are fantastic. I do have to say that this has been a good machine so all in all im pleased I made the deal. love that A/C when mowing.
we didn't have a chance to blow much snow this year, here in MD we just didn't get any. bummed. Mike

/ wheel issue #7  
buy the correct rims and swap out the tires on the new rims, my be able to find used rims, from some agricultural salvage yards, or even some tire dealers,

/ wheel issue #8  
The change occurred with start of D series production. A, B, & C series have straight axle while D thru current are independent suspension different axle and hub.

/ wheel issue #9  
Another thought.
(As I did needing new front rims*).

VERY carefully measure mounting dimensions as well as the ID of the rim and go to a machine shop that has water jet or laser cutting capabilities and have them make U up new centers then weld them onto your new rims.
(Also note that there are standards for rims, example my rears are W8 X 18 and my fronts 5JAX X 12)

*My fronts were 12 inch but could not locate new ones so I purchased 12" (used) trailer rims for $25 and had my local metal fabricator laser cut me new centers, cost me $55.
Took them home and welded up and so far so good after a tough winter of plowing/blowing.
Since weight was in my favor I had the new centers cut from 5/6" stock.

Now since it seems impossible to get new rears I may have to resort to a similar solution.
Shame here is my rear rims are 100% but the tires no longer exist. (have exhausted every resource that I can find even Asian suppliers)
Being 4 x 4 my diameters must be respected.

/ wheel issue
thanks for the ideas. I think im just going to cut my loss, keep the tires and buy some used rims that will fit the bill. not in a rush as we have a bit before the snow starts to fly again. Mike