Traction Wheel Spacer Reassurance

/ Wheel Spacer Reassurance #1  

Deere Dude

Elite Member
Beaver Dam Wisconsin then to Hohenwald, TN
Tractor
John Deere 3720
I am seeing conflicting ideas towards whether 4 " wheel spacers hurt the rear axles or housing on narrower tractors such as 25-60 HP. The dealer won't give me a straight answer as to if it will hurt bearings or anything else. Attitudes toward this is subjective, but there are enough people on this forum who might give a straight answer if they had problems in this area after installing them.

I understand reasons why people don't install them, but to people that had them on for awhile, give me your experience with them. Type of tractor, how many inches of spacers, hours used, how easy the hours are and any problems because of this.

I have a JD 3720 with 4" spacers on each rear wheel. The usage is hard but not severe and have 220 hours on it. I never had a problem with them.

Hopefully this will make others more of less comfortable when considering putting them on their tractor.

Thanks for you input.

Last edited:
   / Wheel Spacer Reassurance #2  
I put wheel spacers on my JD110TLB almost immediately after I got it home in 2008. About a 1,000 hours now and never a hiccup.

The tire clearance between the fenders was so close that using chains was a problem.

I would highly recommend wheel spacer use for stability issues or in cases like I experienced when needing to use chains.

AKfish

/ Wheel Spacer Reassurance #3  
Every see a tractor with dual rears? That's a HECK of a lot more stress than a 4" spacer. Just don't let them get loose and it will be ok.