When did you tighten center nut on your PT

/ When did you tighten center nut on your PT #1  

ernemats

Veteran Member
Tractor
power trac 422, and agco-allis 5660, john deere 550 dozer ,1845 power trac
How often have you tightened the center nut on your power trac? It has been a while since I have been able to tighten mine. I have tried different times and have not been able to tighten it any no matter how hard I pull on the wrench. I notice when running it it seems like it needs tightened .

/ When did you tighten center nut on your PT #2  
I did mine soon after getting it, then about a year after and a few years after that. My PT doesn't seem to have much slop but thanks for the reminder, will be checking the jesus nut.

/ When did you tighten center nut on your PT #3  
It’s an item you check on probably the same time you check your motor oil. Depends on your use. Having broken my center section twice I guess I check twice a year now.

/ When did you tighten center nut on your PT #4  
I've tightened mine about 1 a year, when I give it a good bath. So, about every 50 hours. I've noticed I can stand next to the machine and push up on the canopy and the whole machine will flex in the middle. Seems the joint might be wallowing out. I'll have to inspect it closer in the near future.

/ When did you tighten center nut on your PT #5  
I checked the center nut on mine different times and it does not seem to loosen up at all. I have over 400 hrs on it. It gets worked hard too, but not abused.

/ When did you tighten center nut on your PT #6  
I check pretty frequently, keep a wrench on the truck and one in the shop... Never needed an adjustment.

I suggest painting a stripe on the nut so that you can tell if it moves.

I have a feeling a few early ones loosened up and pt started warning buyers.

/ When did you tighten center nut on your PT #7  
That痴 a good idea about marking the nut👍

/ When did you tighten center nut on your PT #8  
Well I started a 100 hour service on my PT1430 and figured I better check that nut for the first time. I have done it often on my PT180 because it is extremely easy to do on that model, just turn to side of steering cylinder and tighten via other side. The 180 has needed it with approx 1/2 turn in total over 50 hours.

The PT1430 with dual steering cylinders is kind of hard to get to. I turned the machine to left and took off front of right side steering cylinder and it was easy form there. I turned the nut about 1/8 turn. Interestingly I found the welded on steering cylinder mount to be a very precise fit, nice work PT.

One thing to consider on paint marking the center pin nut. It might not be the nut backing off, but the parts wearing into each other and needing to be re-compressed. It is probably the most important/stressed part of the machine, so take good care of it IMHO.

/ When did you tighten center nut on your PT #9  
Hmmm....I have never been able to move mine, so I have to admit that I had quit checking. I guess that means that I am overdue to check.

Thanks for the reminder.

All the best,

Peter

/ When did you tighten center nut on your PT #10  
Bought a special, large wrench, when I bought the PT425 to tighten this nut. However, I could not move the nut. Haven't checked it in may years so maybe now is good time.
-Tim