Where do you buy your metal stock?

/ Where do you buy your metal stock? #111  
Tough call. I don’t think there is a clear choice.

I would say it’s up to you

/ Where do you buy your metal stock?
Perhaps a moderator can just peel out the track-related posts here and create a new thread so this one can go back to being about buying metal?

/ Where do you buy your metal stock? #113  
Tough call. I don’t think there is a clear choice.

I would say it’s up to you

A RR thread has been opened in "trailers and transportation" department. Sorry, we didn't want to sidetrack the thread.

Back to rails. If you'd like to build a anvil with it, I'd getting the heaviest you can find. I'd say 90 would be minim.

Last edited:
   / Where do you buy your metal stock? #114  
I apologize as this is still slightly off topic but for a decent ASO (anvil shaped object) keep your eyes open for heavy I-beam.

I don’t use mine for forging but I find I use this for all “ cold” work such as straightening and a surface for center punching.

Adjustments.jpg

/ Where do you buy your metal stock? #115  
Might be fun; did anybody actually click on the link I posted earlier?
RAIL SPECIFICATIONS

I had NO IDEA there were so many choices, prior to this I'd only seen increments of 10 lbs/yard... Steve
Okay finally got out to measure the two sections of rail that I have and studying the specifications you posted...

Best I can tell the larger rail is Great Northern #11036 Actual measurement is 6-3/8in Depth, 5-1/2in Base, and 2-11/16in Head. The other two possibilities could be American Railways Association #11525 or #11228 but both would require a lot more wear to 'fit'.

The smaller rail seems almost conclusively under the Miscellaneous category. Actual measurement 4-1/4in Depth, 4in Base, and 2-1/4in Head. Nothing other than #6001 fits.

And did notice the first two or three numbers of the Web Marks' are the weight of the rails. Further, my original math based on weighing and measuring actual length to guess 110 and 60lb rails seems spot on! :cool2: