where to purchase multiple chains?

/ where to purchase multiple chains? #11  
Since I've been running saws as a homeowner I've use Stihl chains. (Back in the Forest Service I used whatever they gave me). I recently bought an Echo. The chain that came on it would go dull much quicker than Stihl chains. The cutters are a lot shorter so it wasn't going to last as long. Then some links got stiff so I threw it out. I replaced it with an Oregon and it looks like it'll last like the Stihl chains.

Long way of saying that the chain's quality can make a significant difference in its value. A buck or two more for a chain that lasts significantly longer may make financial sense.

/ where to purchase multiple chains?
This photo is the box of the most recent chains we picked up. To reiterate, we don't normally break teeth off, but did when we purchased an Oregon one (unknown model) some years ago and it had three teeth broke off asap.. We normally run Stihl chains and have had very good luck with them. I'm not sure we've ever lost a tooth on the Stihl's. Our work is tough on chains and we go into the field with two saw heads, two power units, files and 4 chains. Plus all the usual tools and a regular saw as well. I have the MS260 which is a professional model of there's. Do like that unit.

ericm979, I'm a B sawyer by the NFS.

Attachments

• IMG_6387.jpg
    IMG_6387.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
   / where to purchase multiple chains? #13  
Of course we do. We bring a handful of files into the field with us.

We do trail clearing. This involves cutting whole trees, old stumps and brush off, all this is done as low to the ground as possible. This is among the rocks and dirt, so we dull chains rather quickly. Limbing trees is not hard on our chains.

Do you file your chains? Usually the only thing that will hurt a chain is a rock or dirt and you'll have neither pruning limbs.
This is the best sharpener I've come across. Timberline Chainsaw Chain Sharpener | Timberline Filing Guides | Chain Filing Guides | www.baileysonline.com
Consistant results and easy to use and no need to remove the bar & chain. I also use Bailey's chain with good results, although in a chainsaw.

Last edited:
   / where to purchase multiple chains? #15  
I've been running some loops of VXL on my little Dolmar. I couldn't quite tell if it's exactly the same as what you're getting, but I've been happy with the VXL I have. Let us know what you think of it.

/ where to purchase multiple chains? #16  
I just started using VXL this week, for clearing brush. I'll see how long it lasts but so far it looks like it'll go as long between sharpenings as the Stihl chains I've been using.

My USFS experience included a couple seasons thinning pine trees using Homelite Super XLs (yea it was long ago) with bow bars. That's what fire crew did when not on a fire in Kaibab NF. Not as cool as being a sawyer on fires. Everyone I mention bow bar to gets a funny look on their face but these were set up with guards top and botton and a 'stinger' on the end so you could cut with the tip. I thought they were safer than regular bars and certainly more convenient for the work we were doing. I'd set a saw up like that now if I could find the right bar. Arly do they let you buy local now? We had to get whatever we could from GSA approved vendors.

Gee Eric, what year did you work for the NFS? I don't "work" for them here but do clear a trail on the Ottawa NF and to do that, you must be a certified sawyer. We do get items from the GSA catalog but chains I asked about were purchased locally for myself. To add to the complexity, I clear trails for several organizations and been doing that for well over 20 years. I also do that for my job. I've never seen a "bow saw bar" and think that looks quite interesting.

I just started using VXL this week, for clearing brush. I'll see how long it lasts but so far it looks like it'll go as long between sharpenings as the Stihl chains I've been using.

My USFS experience included a couple seasons thinning pine trees using Homelite Super XLs (yea it was long ago) with bow bars. That's what fire crew did when not on a fire in Kaibab NF. Not as cool as being a sawyer on fires. Everyone I mention bow bar to gets a funny look on their face but these were set up with guards top and botton and a 'stinger' on the end so you could cut with the tip. I thought they were safer than regular bars and certainly more convenient for the work we were doing. I'd set a saw up like that now if I could find the right bar. Arly do they let you buy local now? We had to get whatever we could from GSA approved vendors.

Last edited:
   / where to purchase multiple chains? #18  
I was on the Kaibab in the mid 1980s, then did (non-chainsaw) work including tree climbing for R5 and vegetation studies and airphoto interpretation for a joint USFS/NPS project around Yellowstone before abandoning the USFS for unrelated work.

Here's a pic similar to what we used: http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/xskier/Mobile Uploads/20140425_095606.jpg
I can't get it to embed for some reason.

With the cutting part out on the end the operator doesn't have to bend over as much, which is great when you're cutting hundreds of little trees a day. It's also safer- one time I tripped while backing up and ended up with a running saw in my lap. The guards kept the chain from touching my chaps. The stinger on the end keeps it from kicking back. You can get kick back if you approach the tree wrong but with the long guards you have to work at it. Once cutting it's secure enough that you can take a hand off the saw to push on the tree. Now that I'm fighting nasty brush with poison oak and stinging nettle I kind of miss nice clean monoculture ponderosa pine forests.

We finally got a new Oregon chain out and it rocked! To reiterate, we carry many chains with us and do file them in the field. But the type of work we do is quite hard on them. Will these Oregon chains hold up?

Attachments

• IMG_7539.jpg
    IMG_7539.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7541.jpg
    IMG_7541.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7543.jpg
    IMG_7543.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7546.jpg
    IMG_7546.jpg