Which Machine and Equip (Satoh vs Bolens)?

/ Which Machine and Equip (Satoh vs Bolens)? #1  

Cloudless

Tractor
JD332
Hello,

I currently own a JD332 and am thinking of moving up to something with 4wd. I use it to clear snow and to mow, and sometimes tow a cart. In the snow the 2wd leaves me sliding and I have some slopes to deal with, so going up/down the road to clear the bank left by plows can get me stuck if I'm not careful.

I've been drawn to the Satoh/Mitsubishi S370D and the Bolens/Iseki G154 models. The reason is that I love older machines, steel construction, and diesel engines. :D They seem simple and rugged. Do these machines have about the same capabilities as each other? Is there anything one has over the other? I would probably want a mower (could be rear pto) and either a blade, or blower. The rear hitch/pto blowers seem like the best capability-wise but my neck doesn't like the idea of constantly looking backwards to clear.

I know there is no one correct answer but how much should I expect to pay for that level of machine in a reasonable condition? And for attachments? I know parts are hard to come by.

My next question is on tires, I see these usually came with a diamond pattern tire for turfs, and an AG style. If I got a machine with the AG tires, will they end up destroying my lawn? I currently run rear turfs with chains (all year) and front straight ribs on my 332, and sometimes get a little bit of cutting with the ribs on soft areas or areas with moss. Which of those two styles would work ok in snow, and would chains really be needed with the additional weight and 4wd?

Sorry for any rambling, lots of questions. If any current owners of the mentioned machines could chime in it would be appreciated, or if there are other options in the same vein out there I'm all ears!

Edit: I just realized maybe this is a better fit in the Buying/Pricing/Comparison forum, if so I apologize!

Last edited:
   / Which Machine and Equip (Satoh vs Bolens)? #2  
Here are the specs on both tractors from tractordata.com

TractorData.com Satoh Beaver S37� tractor information
TractorData.com Bolens G154 tractor information

I am skeptical 12-horsepower at the PTO will operate a snow blower, but I am a Floridian, so what do I know about snow?

I think you would be better off searching for an old 4-WD Kubota or 4-WD Deere which fits your budget, for which parts and manuals will be reasonably available.

I trust you are mechanically proficient and willing to trade operating time for repair/maintenance time. Mitsubishi diesel engines are well regarded here, but these are old tractors, probably with multiple former owners.
SATOH PARTS: Google
BOLENS PARTS: Google

You are asking for information on tractors last produced more than thirty years ago and imported in small numbers. I have to think 2017 operating base is very limited.

GOOD LUCK.

Last edited: