Which tractor to buy?

/ Which tractor to buy? #1  

jasonsalvo

Hello,

I own a small, 6-acre vegetable farm. We currently have an Allis-Chalmers G that we use for seeding and cultivation and a Kubota L35 with a backhoe and loader that we use for tilling, spading, and mowing about 25 acres of pasture.

We are looking for an inexpensive backup tractor that can run all the same implements as the Kubota. The requirements for this tractor are that is must be relatively inexpensive, it must be exactly 5' wide (and ideally have narrow, ag tires), it must have a 3-point hitch and about 25 horsepower from the PTO. Plus, it must have a relatively narrow turn radius - around 10'. Ideally, it'd also have belly mount hydrolics and a mid-tractor PTO.

I'm currently thinking about a JD 950 or 1050, a Ford 9N, or an IH 274. Does anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations for other similarly sized and priced tractors or any reasons why we shouldn't get any particular make or model?

Thanks

/ Which tractor to buy? #2  
If you have a dealer nearby I'd have a look at the Bobcat tractors. I started looking for my first tractor without any real brand bias decided on the Bobcat CT230, which I think is comparable in size to the 950, because it offered the best value and bang for the buck. Any other brand I looked at offered less machine for considerably more money.

Bobcat has a nice promo on for free front end loader and $3500 cash rebate on until the end of May but if you're not looking for the loader their pricing may not be as appealing to you as it was to me.

CT235 offers 26.5 PTO HP, 54.6" wide and 114" turn radius

Last edited:
   / Which tractor to buy? #3  
And if you are looking at the Bobcat tractors then you might as well look at the Kioti tractors as well, they are made from the same factory and are the same tractor minus the attachments. The Kioti has a longer warranty, stronger loader and equal backhoe.

Looks like a CK30/CK35, or maybe the larger DK35/DK40 may be good for you.

CK35, 34hp engine, 27.6hp PTO (gear), 54.6" wide, and a 9.5ft (114") with brakes, optional mid-mount PTO (2000rpms). Not sure about mid mount hydraulics, what are those for...?

/ Which tractor to buy? #4  
Hello,

I own a small, 6-acre vegetable farm. We currently have an Allis-Chalmers G that we use for seeding and cultivation and a Kubota L35 with a backhoe and loader that we use for tilling, spading, and mowing about 25 acres of pasture.

We are looking for an inexpensive backup tractor that can run all the same implements as the Kubota. The requirements for this tractor are that is must be relatively inexpensive, it must be exactly 5' wide (and ideally have narrow, ag tires), it must have a 3-point hitch and about 25 horsepower from the PTO. Plus, it must have a relatively narrow turn radius - around 10'. Ideally, it'd also have belly mount hydrolics and a mid-tractor PTO.

I'm currently thinking about a JD 950 or 1050, a Ford 9N, or an IH 274. Does anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations for other similarly sized and priced tractors or any reasons why we shouldn't get any particular make or model?

Thanks

Well, that JD950 and 1050 have Yanmar engines, so you probably should consider similarly sized Yanmar tractors. TractorData has the info

TractorData.com - Yanmar tractors sorted by power

Since you're considering really vintage tractors like the 9N, you may as well check out 1950s and 60s tractors. Examples: Ferguson TO-30, Ford 8N, Farmall H, Case VC, Allis Chalmers CA. Tractors like these show up on craigslist and eBay often.

/ Which tractor to buy? #5  
The JD 70 series of CUT's would also fit your needs, too. Current post on the JD forum has a buyer looking at a 870 (25hp pto) with loader and belly mower for $8750 with 872hrs.

They show up on Craigslist and eBay pretty often as well. Solid, well-built and reliable.

AKfish

/ Which tractor to buy? #6  
I was gonna say ford N till you mentioned belly mount hyds and mid pto.

you can get a hyds upgrade to get a remote and live hyds for probably 500$, and you can run a belly mower using a drive that diverts the rear pto foward using a shaft.. but none of these are stock items.

the width, turn radius, nd hp and price are otherwise within your specs. ( ps. get a late 8n.. not a 9n... better gear choices.. )

soundguy

Hello,

Thanks

/ Which tractor to buy? #7  
Woods still makes an undermount belly mower for many different old tractors, including the Farmall letter series, Ford 8N and later, and others. Probably pricey, but still available.

/ Which tractor to buy? #8  
yep.. that's where that pto shaft conversion comes from..

soundguy

/ Which tractor to buy? #9  
That bobcat CT235 sounds like what you need.