Why different couplers ?

/ Why different couplers ? #1  

devildog1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Grand L 3540 HST-3, R4's
I just had a 3rd function valve installed on my L3540 Grand Kubota so I could hydraulically control angles a a quick attach snow plow from the joy stick. I have a question because I'm not fluent on the workings of different couplers. Why on my set of rear remotes are the quick couplers both female and the 3 point hydraulic hoses from my LA2674 snow blower are both male quick couplers hoses ? Now the new quick couplers mounted to the front of the FEL from the 3rd valve are male and female, so that means when I hook up HLA snow plow hoses they need to have a male and female quick couples on those hoses., why the difference from rear remotes to the from remote? thank you in advance for answer.
DevilDog

/ Why different couplers ? #2  
I don't know why the rear remotes are the same (female plugs). Mine are too. But when I ran lines from the rear remotes to the front for my hyd. thumb and snow plow I used 1 male and 1 female connector. That way I don't have to worry about hooking it up wrong. I think the rears should also be 1 of each connector and I may change one of them to be consistant.

/ Why different couplers ? #3  
Not sure there needs to be a difference, however if you purposely mix them, that would help "code" the hookup so it can only be hooked up one way, potentially avoiding customer confusion. That may be important for certain valve and implement combinations, or in cases where a control lever needs to have consistent behavior. In other cases, you may want to leave things general so that something (perhaps an unknown new implement) could be hooked up in any direction.

When I installed my rear remotes, the Kubota kit came with four female and four male couplers. I could have put either one on the tractor or hoses, but chose to put all females on the tractor and all males on the hoses. I can connect my hydraulic top link hoses in either order, depending on how I want the control valve's lever direction to correspond to the top link motion (and also how I want the float function to fit into the scheme). I used color tape to denote the mating pairs. Another way to do that would have been to put one male and one female on the tractor and then put the matching connectors on the hoses for the proper hookup order. But that sort of means any future implements need to conform to the same convention, and that may not be the case.

/ Why different couplers ?
Thanks guys, but it seems that there is really no rhyme or reason to whether the both males are together or the two females because it seems that one is a flow line and the other is a return line and it doesn't matter which way they are right? Or am I missing something here?
DevelDog

/ Why different couplers ? #5  
Thanks guys, but it seems that there is really no rhyme or reason to whether the both males are together or the two females because it seems that one is a flow line and the other is a return line and it doesn't matter which way they are right? Or am I missing something here?
DevelDog

To explain further on why I used 1 male and 1 female on the front is for when I hook up my forks thumb. I want it to close when I push the remote lever forward and open when I pull it back. Same with the snow plow, forward to angle left and back to angle right. If I had installed 2 male connectors on the thumb or plow I have a 50/50 chance of plugging them in the way I want them to operate when I push or pull the remote lever.
At first I did have 2 males on the thumb hoses and marked the hoses with different colored zip ties. After a while in the sun the zip ties got brittle and fell off so I was back to the 50/50 chance of plugging them in the way I wanted. By using 1 male, 1 female on the implement hoses I can't hook up wrong.

/ Why different couplers ? #6  
You have it right.

Connect all your implements what way as a standard.

/ Why different couplers ?
To explain further on why I used 1 male and 1 female on the front is for when I hook up my forks thumb. I want it to close when I push the remote lever forward and open when I pull it back. Same with the snow plow, forward to angle left and back to angle right. If I had installed 2 male connectors on the thumb or plow I have a 50/50 chance of plugging them in the way I want them to operate when I push or pull the remote lever.
At first I did have 2 males on the thumb hoses and marked the hoses with different colored zip ties. After a while in the sun the zip ties got brittle and fell off so I was back to the 50/50 chance of plugging them in the way I wanted. By using 1 male, 1 female on the implement hoses I can't hook up wrong.

Ah now it makes sense George2615, perfect sense as because I have to buttons on my joy stick so one will be left angle and one would be right angle and if you UN-hooked them and changed hoses buttons would be reversed! Got it , thanks so much, I just learned something new today and that's a good thing.
DevilDog

/ Why different couplers ? #8  
On the kubota's the rear remotes are brake away couplers and that is why they are both females.

/ Why different couplers ? #9  
On the kubota's the rear remotes are brake away couplers and that is why they are both females.

Plus when you put a male and female on your grapple, running it off of the rear remotes, if you don't like the way the lid operates, you can reverse the hoses on the rear very easily to make it work the way you want. And then by having a male and female up front, you will never mix them up and it will always work the way you want it to. Plus the male and female of the front hydraulic implement will plug into itself to keep dirt out when you store it.:)