Winter prep for snow season.

/ Winter prep for snow season. #1  

prs

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 650, Ventrac 4500Z AJ02248
Is it best to leave duals on or remove the outer wheels? I have always taken them off suspecting the duals would tend to ride up on the snow instead of cutting in. I removed the outers today, but is that the common practice?

prs

/ Winter prep for snow season. #2  
I think so, I remember seeing this done even on road plow trucks years ago before they started the "bare road" policy in most places. This was back when once the snow stopped, they'd head out to plow.

/ Winter prep for snow season. #3  
No duals for sure, you'd just float while U want to cut thru down to the road bed.

Snow contractors often install narrower tires on their PU's for that reason.

/ Winter prep for snow season. #4  
As Piloon wrote :thumbsup: also lot easy if you needed to put tire chains on.

/ Winter prep for snow season. #5  
Sorry for bringing up an old post, but just purchased a 4500Z. It has the standard dual-wheel setup and I understand the need to remove them for winter operation. I have a 1400' gravel drive that raises 250' above the county road. We have more ice than snow issues and all my other tractors are equipped with chains on the rear.

Can I run chains on the inner tires? If so, do you recommend front and rear? If not I think I would rather keep the duals on and run chains on the outer tires.

Also do you have a recommendation for chains? Size and source?

Thanks,
Barry

/ Winter prep for snow season.
Barry, it seems as if you realize there is not much room for inner chains on the stock ATV type tires. A previous contributer found chains that would fit, but has passed on and I am not sure what chains he purchased. I "think" he ran all 8 tires with chains. I have procrasstinated about getting chains.

prs