Won’t start

/ Won’t start #1  

Donnybrookfarms

Tractor
1428v Massey Ferguson
My Massey 1428V stopped working last Saturday while plowing the driveway and what it does is acts like a safety switch is not workin. I have already bypassed the sea switch along with the gear selector switch years. I was looking at it and found the pto sensor with 2 wires that became disconnected at the sensor itself. It’s a 2005 and the part is obsolete so I tried connecting the wires but still does start, doesn’t turn over battery is good headlights are bright glow plugs work well. I checked the fuses and the only two that remotely looks engine relate. one is the fuel pump and the other is the engine stop fuse. Neither the way I’m thinking would not allow the motor to turn over as if there is a kill switch they would activate are there any other safety mechanisms that would not allow power to the key switch?

/ Won’t start #2  
you verify its not actually a starter issue?
you mentioned bunch of other stuff but not that particular item.
that use remote solenoid or starter mounted solenoid?

pto sensor still could be issue depending on type disconnect may actually cause the no crank. try connecting it (if possible) and wiggle pto lever (iirc thats lever driven) while in crank position to see.

these are just some wild guesses based on my experience with a MF1532

Last edited:
   / Won’t start #3  
We have had issues with ignition switches on the sub compacts.

I don't know if your series has the same problems.

While looking for problems, I would look at the switch to see if any wires have broken off of it. Or, if there is any corrosion at the connector. They can also have internal corrosion, if water is allowed to enter through the key hole.

There is also a possible a fuse, or fusable link, that is not in the actual fuse box, but could be located near it.

/ Won’t start #4  
And inspect ground strap(s). A broken large-wire ground can prevent the starter from working, but everything else will.

I never would have found my broken ground if not for this forum -- I was chasing safety switches all over the place. Turns out this was a known issue with GC2300-series tractors.

/ Won’t start #5  
What happens when you run jumper cables strait to the starter?

/ Won’t start
you verify its not actually a starter issue?
you mentioned bunch of other stuff but not that particular item.
that use remote solenoid or starter mounted solenoid?

pto sensor still could be issue depending on type disconnect may actually cause the no crank. try connecting it (if possible) and wiggle pto lever (iirc thats lever driven) while in crank position to see.

these are just some wild guesses based on my experience with a MF1532

/ Won’t start #7  
Did you try to go 12v directly to the starter or try to measure if 12v getting to the starter?

/ Won’t start #8  
We have a 1533 - not too different from your tractor. The only controls that can cause a no crank when viewing the wiring diagram are the PTO and the Neutral switch. The seat switch knocks out the fuel solenoid to shut down the engine but does not drop the ability to crank.

There are several fuses in the circuit. Have you had a look at the fuses? I did not see that in your posts.