Traction Wondering about actual pulling force.

/ Wondering about actual pulling force. #1  

jstrick

Tractor
Farmall H and Kubota MX6000
I've been wondering about how much pull force my Kubota MX6000 can produce. I have done several searches and found lots of equations about Horsepower and torque and such, and being an engineer, I understand the equations and also understand that I don't have the data needed to substitute for the variables. It is a 60 HP tractor, with a little less "drawbar hp" and R4 tires and I am just wondering about the pulling force I can generate under "good" conditions. I know there are lots and lots of variables that go into this, but mostly I am curious to know what kind of chain and straps I should get so that I won't break them when I start pulling stumps and rocks.

/ Wondering about actual pulling force. #2  
I've been wondering about how much pull force my Kubota MX6000 can produce. I have done several searches and found lots of equations about Horsepower and torque and such, and being an engineer, I understand the equations and also understand that I don't have the data needed to substitute for the variables. It is a 60 HP tractor, with a little less "drawbar hp" and R4 tires and I am just wondering about the pulling force I can generate under "good" conditions. I know there are lots and lots of variables that go into this, but mostly I am curious to know what kind of chain and straps I should get so that I won't break them when I start pulling stumps and rocks.
It involves factors of horsepower, gearing, weight, and traction. R4 Tires are less effective in mud, soft dirt, and snow. Tires will be a weak link.

/ Wondering about actual pulling force. #3  
Its all weight and traction...... My 25 HP scut will dig it's self into 4 holes if I let it, it has the torque but it a lightweight enough it just remove dirt from under tires if "load" is enough to stop any forward motion....

Dale

/ Wondering about actual pulling force. #4  

Kubota | Tractor Test Lab | Nebraska

Pick a model close to your MX.

/ Wondering about actual pulling force. #5  
I am curious to know what kind of chain and straps I should get so that I won't break them when I start pulling stumps and rocks.

5/16" GRADE 70 chain is ample.

If you add grab hooks and slip hooks, make sure they are GRADE 70 as well.

You will not be pulling green stumps larger than 3" diameter.

If stump has been dead for a year, so fine feeder roots have decayed, you may be able to pull softwood stumps 4" in diameter from moist soil.

Best technique is to run chain over a wheel rim, converting forward motion of tractor to vertical pulling motion.

Tractor weight is the key metric in ground contact work. Horsepower is a trailing second or third.

I suggest filling MX6000 rear tires and wheel weights.

T-B-N ARCHIVE: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...ar-center-tractor-drawbar-use.html?highlight=

Last edited:
   / Wondering about actual pulling force. #6  
Weigh your tractor, multiply by 0.8,, that is generally what a novice with rubber tires can pull..

Tractor pullers at the fair can pull more (0.9 ? ), but that is a lot of skill, (locating weights, shaving tires,, etc,,,)

Even a tracked bulldozer has a hard time pulling as much as the machine weighs,,
and the tracks are acting like gears on a rack,coupling the machine ti the earth.

Horsepower, torque, etc mean nothing,, I could pull your engine, put a 20HP gas engine in the tractor, it will pull the same,,
It will pull it slower, but, it will pull based on the machines weight.