Wood boilers

/ Wood boilers #1  

JonE

Silver Member
Tractor
B2710/LA401
Anyone use an outdoor wood boiler? How much wood do these things use? I've been looking at HS tarm wood gasification boilers but don't know if they are worth it.

/ Wood boilers #2  
I don't have one, but they're fairly common in NW Ontario. Comments I've heard is that they're wood eaters. A neighbour heats his house with one (I don't know if it's an air-air or air to water exchange). Another neighbour says he gets two tandem loads of wood a year.

Owner of a wood stove place said there's no such thing as an efficient wood furnace (of course he's trying to sell stoves).

Another comment is fairly high installation cost and fairly high maintenance costs. Corrosion is a problem in an outside furnace. If the fire dies down, there's more condensation due to the cold outside temperatures.

Of course, there may be differing opinions, I'm just passing along comments I've heard.

/ Wood boilers
Tom, it seems I'm getting the same info. from many people. That's what I was afraid of. I still think, however, that there must be a better way. I really like the HS tarm boilers but I don't know anyone who has one so I'm hesitant.
Check it out http://hearth.com/tarm/hs.html

/ Wood boilers #4  
JonE thats a big ?????? what did you want to know? I have sold only 1 of the tarm's, cost but we sell about 10 to 20 of the out door uints,central boiler, every year. I do belive that they have a web site just do a search.If you can't find it let me know and I will bring it home and post it.
RICH