Wood chipper recommendation for 5065e?

/ Wood chipper recommendation for 5065e? #1  

Rmd8136

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere 5065e MFWD
Can anyone suggest a good wood chipper for a 5065e, 53 PTO HP ?

/ Wood chipper recommendation for 5065e? #3  
I have a Champion Chipper, model 551 and it almost does 6" diameter logs. I think it is made by Pequea equipment here in Pennsylvania. I run it with an older JD 1020 that is rated at 35 HP. I like it because besides being well made it is simple to maintain and has the hydraulic motor for self feeding the limbs.

Your tractor would run it no problem. I mention mine for a size reference - you could go bigger, say 8-9" diameter logs. Then again, for me, anything more than 6" is saved for firewood and doesn't need to be chipped.

The champion retails for about 7k, I got mine slightly used for about half that.

/ Wood chipper recommendation for 5065e?
Thanks for advice. Sounds like a real nice unit.

/ Wood chipper recommendation for 5065e? #5  
With that HP you could chip some pretty good logs. I can chip a 6" hardwood log on slow feed with my hydro feed Vermeer PTO chipper. Some of the new chippers come with feed sensing which will stop the hydro feed when the RPM's slow down, then when they catch up, keep feeding. This allows you to chip some pretty large diameter logs.

If cost were a huge concern, I would prefer a smaller hydro feed chipper with a 4-6" capacity over a 8 or 9" capacity chipper without hydro feed. It really makes a huge difference. Check out Wallenstein, Valby, Salsco, Bearcat and there are others.

/ Wood chipper recommendation for 5065e? #6  
If you haven't, definitely consider the self feed feature. While using it you get to get the limb started and walk away (to get the next limb). When you get back it is ready for more. Cheaper machines without self feed may need you there to control all the feeding. This is a lot more standing still and much less productive.