Wood Cuttin weather

/ Wood Cuttin weather #21  
I have very good neighbors and they all hunt, but I don't. However if I happen to have time on opening day of hunting season and the temps are low enough I will go cut wood without a second thought. I might not have another good dry and cold day for several weeks that coincides with my day off.
So. Get the work done is the first for me. Mind you it has been several years since I have done that because things just didn't come together for wood cutting on that particular day.

I don't hold a grudge against the neighbor who likes to get up early and run his chainsaw at 6am. That is when he prefers to start working and I respect that.

/ Wood Cuttin weather #22  
I don't hold a grudge against the neighbor who likes to get up early and run his chainsaw at 6am. That is when he prefers to start working and I respect that.

I resemble that remark.
I've lived in a little suburban enclave of Washington DC since 1984. I'm only at this forum because I'm retiring to 300 plus acres in Ms.
I've awoken at dawn or earlier most of my adult life. In my "community" it's (as far as I know) an unwritten rule - no outdoor engine noise until 9am on Sat and 10am on Sun. During the week you'll hear lawn services starting at 730am.
That kills me, on Sunday, in the heat of the summer, I lose 4 hrs of what I consider "prime time" .

/ Wood Cuttin weather #23  
I've awoken at dawn or earlier most of my adult life. In my "community" it's (as far as I know) an unwritten rule - no outdoor engine noise until 9am on Sat and 10am on Sun. " .

No work 'till 9 or 10 am? The early hours are my favorite time too. It must have been frustrating. In my "neighborhood" it is not unusual to hear a tractor, chainsaw, lawnmower at any time during daylight hours. Rarely, but I run my tractor after 9pm when I really want to finish something. Granted my nearest neighbor is about 300 yards away so I doubt the tractor noise bothers them at all.

/ Wood Cuttin weather #24  
No work 'till 9 or 10 am? The early hours are my favorite time too. It must have been frustrating. In my "neighborhood" it is not unusual to hear a tractor, chainsaw, lawnmower at any time during daylight hours. Rarely, but I run my tractor after 9pm when I really want to finish something. Granted my nearest neighbor is about 300 yards away so I doubt the tractor noise bothers them at all.
300 YARDS!!
See the pic. I'm about 20 yards between buildings. (but I about back on the largest park in northern Virginia and am about 1 mile from work)
attachment.php

I see you write "tractor, chainsaw, lawnmower", here it is lawnmower weedwacker, auto tuneup.
I don't think they like it when I run my chainsaw (660s w/ open mufflers). They like it when I show up and help them remove storm damage. Most of them deal with storm damage with a cell phone.
I don't think they like it when I play with my tractor. They put up with it when I cleared the road last year after the snowstorms and also allowed me to move a couple of truckloads of sand at the pool when the truck couldn't get within 80 yards of the dumpsite.

I realize my tools are meant for a rural setting (I'm shooting for a square mile in Mississippi) but they work here also.

Some times I think I'm a hexagonal bolt being put in a pentagonal hole.

Attachments

• hay1.bmp
    669.5 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
   / Wood Cuttin weather #25  
Newbury,

I didn't mean to rub it in with the distance to my neighbors. I feel your pain been there myself. Close to 10 years ago I had a job offer from Maine and I jumped on it. I thought I hit the jackpot with the place. That is when my long time wish came through and I could leave the cities and be a country boy. The learning curve for this lifestyle was steep, jumping in it with now experience, but I was very enthusiastic and have no second thoughts.

It sounds tho that you are moving soon too.

/ Wood Cuttin weather #26  
I see more critters in the woods when I'm cutting/working than hunting.