wood stove help

/ wood stove help #11  
Just consolidating what others have said here...first, get humidity level up to around 50%. See if that helps your wife's problem. If not, look for "leaks" in stove and house. I've used a big fast-food softdrink straw to "sniff" the stove at doors and joints...including stovpipe up to thimble. Under certain conditions, I've had a slight backflow thru bathroom vents, etc., from outside. Finally, depending on outside temps, chimney, and burning unseasoned wood, you can get ice buildup in chimney that will reduce draw and can cause smoking...

/ wood stove help #12  
I am an ophthalmologist, and have seen quite a bit of dry eye due to the low humidity this winter. I would bet this is your wife's' problem. It can be helped (but not cured) with daily use of artificial tears used at least four to six times per day. Sometimes tears are not enough and we need to move on to medications like Restasis. We also can place punctal plugs in the tear ducts of the eyelids, in effect damming up the egress of tears from the eye.

Supplements can sometimes help as well, i.e. omega 3 fatty acids or flax seed oil.

Increasing humidity in the air will also help.

/ wood stove help #13  
Could also be creasote build up in the airtight stove. Any drips of creasote condensate on the pipes? If so, when they burn and get hot, it is an eye and nose irritant.

/ wood stove help
tu all for the help we will try everything listed.

/ wood stove help #15  
Is there anything on the stored wood that might irritate her eyes?

/ wood stove help
no its all seasond red oak, were kinda leaning twords the low humidity.

/ wood stove help #17  
It sounds like a humidity thing but to be safe put a co detector somewhere in the area that the stove heats to make sure she is not being affected by co. Some are more sensitive than others but it is deadly at any level over NONE and will build up in one's blood stream over time. Low levels will not necessarily be noticeable because it is odor and colorless. I get instant headaches now from being around it in my car shop days. Even if it isn't the cause of your wife's irritation you would be wise to know if it is present in the air you are breathing when the stove is running.

/ wood stove help
tu, i have a co detector.